The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my home made BH target i posted bout in another thread....home depot had 24" x 96" x 2" pink owen corning insulation foam boards for 14.70....i cut it in 19" sections and used spray contact adhesive to glue them together and it measures 24" x 19" x 10" thick....then used reinforced tape around the top and bottom to help keep them together as i keep it in a metal shed that gets hot....

i just drew 1" black dots on it with a marker for aim points
..........bob

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I bet it works. I would also put a blanket a foot behind that target to catch the arrow if it blows through it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used to use the white block from walmart and it lasted a pretty good while, but the BH's started blowing through that one....this foam is twice as dense as the plain white styro from the walmart's target....i'd say this stuff is on par with 3D deer targets.........bob

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Bob I gave away the white block from Walmart because it would not stop my arrows before the fletching and some pass throughs with field points.I hope that works for for but I don't think it will.Maybe at 30-40 yards but I doubt so at 20 yards.I'm sure you know my son and I both shoot Excals as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I am curious to see how it works also. i built a homemade one last year that worked okay but arrow removal was a problem. i hope it does work, be a nice cheap target.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
he will have trouble removing due to heat from friction of bolt going in....although it isnt very thick... may go right through.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
my prediction is the broadhead will be sticking out the back and have to be removed after every shot to get the arrow out, thats what was the problem with my home made target. it didn't seem to matter as far as shot to shot accuracy just hated doing haveing to take them off everytime

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
If he does get a pass through and has a blanket behind it to catch it, the arrow would catch and be laying on the blanket. I do that for my broadhead target.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
spur said:
If he does get a pass through and has a blanket behind it to catch it, the arrow would catch and be laying on the blanket. I do that for my broadhead target.
Doesn't that mess up your fletching?

I'm waiting on pics to see if it worked?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think/know i will get more shots then the wally world target i used to use....i use my bag target as a back up when i knew the target gave up the ghost and let arrows through it, the bag would just stop the arrow before the BH poked a hole in it....i also put the bag target bout 8 feet behind too...........bob

·
Registered
21,381 Posts

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you made a target with a picture of BumbleHick on it!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh stop it you silly lil women
........bob

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tuesday it will be shot at when my buddy brings his new xbow over to get set up, so stay tuned folks
........bob

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
PM BH. Mebbe he will send ya a picture. Then you can call it the BH BH

·
Registered
31 Posts
I made the same target a few weeks back. Very very hard to get the arrow out. I used 4 squares and the broadhead would just stick out enough where i could take it off and get the bolt out the other side. Also your arrows with get the pink foam all over from the friction and it heating the foam up. Not really worth the aggravation.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i had to cut it in half to get my arrow out, it stuck out the back a few inches....so i guess i'll be using that red/white/blue target from walmart from now on....as much as i use it it will last a couple of years........bob

·
Super Moderator
13,963 Posts
I use (2) 4X8 sheets of insulation cut in half. Giving me a 4x4 target on which I can shoot multiple dots. They were left over from my house construction and they are heaver than the pink. I have used them for 10 years with broadheads and they have been left outside all that time. I unscrew the broad heads from the back side of the target and put the heads back on the same shafts.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Bob,Walmart also sells a Buck Masters target that works much better than the other one.I think it was 5 or 10 bucks more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts