The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good idea, what kind of burner are you using for this and where did you get the mail drop off box from

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turkey fryer burner.

The mail box was in my grandmother's garage for many years, I inhereted it when she passed away. Some family friend from years ago worked for the post office and had a bunch of them is all I know.

I hear now the post office has to destroy them because of lead paint.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have a heavy duty stainless rotisorie for it but can't seem to find pics.

The best part is they are already made to sit outside so weather is not a concern.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LoL yea I sure would love to put the bills in it!

Especeialy any gun control or immigration bills!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
LLB said:
Turkey fryer burner.

The mail box was in my grandmother's garage for many years, I inhereted it when she passed away. Some family friend from years ago worked for the post office and had a bunch of them is all I know.

I hear now the post office has to destroy them because of lead paint.
Just to let you know, they were not Mail Boxes, they were Drop Boxes used many years ago when the Letter Carriers Walked their Routes. They were located through out the towns and in the morning, after the mail was sorted, the carriers or a Clerk took the mail out and put in it the boxes. As the Letter Carriers walked their routes, they would "Tap" the Drop Boxes to pick up mail for a part of their route. They stopped using them when they went to mail jeeps for the carriers and got away from walking from the post office around their routes and back to the Post Office!

Camphill had many of them back in the 90s, after my Dad retired from the post office, they contacted him about Recycling them. He got 12 from Camphill and cleaned them up and repainted them and gave to my brothers, sisters & I & a few grandchildren.
Last I knew, they were worth a nice amount!(early 2000s)
We all use ours as storage boxes.
Did you Check to see what the value is on them before you started cutting it up?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I know what they were used for and some are still in use around here. As far as value I really dont care as it makes a better smoker than a storage box and I have been offered quite a bit of cash for it. The wife likes it so much though that I am forbidden to sell it!

To each his own.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Pizza ??!! Now you are talking.... Do you use a water pan for smokes ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We some times finish pizza in it when we have it going, definately gives it a neat flavor. That pizza has hard dried jerky that has been chopped fine in a food processor (like bacon bits) on it for flavoring as well, pure Heaven!

I use a water pan for birds or large pieces.

As for making one to hold a keg my friends and nieghbors would never go home and the wife would not be happy! And if she aint happy aint nobody happy! LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts