The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever build one before or know where to get plans?

One of my best buds has a full service woodshop and mad wood skills. I figured a DIY would be cheaper and be really neat.

Nothing real big. Just something to hook a couple of dogs to for a little fun on the farm.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
We did one years and years ago in the boy scouts...from what i remember...most of it was made out of bamboo...and we lashed it together...but the runners were made of thin oak ..heated and waxed...but that was like 35 yrs ago...lol

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your link isn't working for me. May be the computer that i'm on.

I tried google and could only find generic plans or plans written on a sheet of paper. I have a pretty good idea, but was hoping for modern plans. Maybe mortise and tenon or Pocket Rocket instead of leather ties.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a dog/people supply sled Hanging in my barn. My dad and I made it for boy scouts 40 years ago. I can take pic and post if interested. It's a large sled pine with oak ski.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Deer Lane said:
I have a dog/people supply sled Hanging in my barn. My dad and I made it for boy scouts 40 years ago. I can take pic and post if interested. It's a large sled pine with oak ski.
Please post a photo,would like to see it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Built several similar to above in my scouting days and good for the Klondike Derby but a team of dogs and hi speeds are another thing. I would beef it up,better handles and some kind of foot operated drag brake

·
Registered
536 Posts
I made one for Klondike Derby years ago wit hmy troop out of 1.5" electrical PVC conduit and an old pair of skis. The reason I used electrical conduit is you can heat it and bend it so you need less joints adding strength. It worked pretty good because it was super light. Council outlawed the use of PVC sleds the next year so it got cut up. Yes we won by a landslide that year LOL....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts