The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the middle of October I started watching my calories and started daily exercising. Between then and Thanksgiving I lost 13 pounds. Between Thanksgiving and the first few days of buck season at camp I gained 6 pounds. It has taken me till now to lose that 6 pounds again.

I'm sure some of it is that I'm building muscle to replace the fat, but I know the "free days" have been a lot more frequent during the Holidays. Now that we are back to normal, I hope I see the pounds come off a little quicker.

Anyone else feel like it's harder to just maintain your weight during the Holidays?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I've been on holiday for the past two years and am heavier than I've ever been. I started my diet last week. I want to drop 50 lbs by June.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buckethead said:
I've been on holiday for the past two years and am heavier than I've ever been. I started my diet last week. I want to drop 50 lbs by June.
Good luck. Do you have a plan? I only ask because I looked for a long time for something that I felt I could stick with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try cutting out sugary drinks, soda, coffee drinks (from Dunkin, Micky D's), candy and drinking plenty of cold water. I did it and dropped 10# in a month or so. After the first week I never thought about it and it's easy to stay the course, from there you could increase activity slowly, and decrease portions at meals. Little things add up an making life style changes will keep it off. Also if you drink alcohol try cutting back as much as you feel you want too.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
It's not so much the holidays that hurt me, it's hunting season. I stop going to the gym in May because of turkey season and then again during October through mid January.
I get alot of excercise from hunting but I negate everything because I become totally undisiplined. It always seems during those time periods I drink more booze and eat like crap. Hopefully come May this year I will continue with the gym, eat healthier, and drink less.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary U said:
Try cutting out sugary drinks, soda, coffee drinks (from Dunkin, Micky D's), candy and drinking plenty of cold water.
Yep. All it takes is a quick look at the calories in those things. I won't say that counting calories is the only way, but it is working for me. myfitnesspal.com is a pretty good way of keeping track of it. 1200 calories is really pretty easy if you stick to eating just at meal time, and NO FAST FOOD.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I don't drink any sugary drinks. I just LOVE to eat. I do like my hooch. I've cut back on that. Been eating much healthier now for the past two weeks and I'm already starting to feel better. I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot so walking is a little painful right now. I got inserts for my shoes and that seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Learn to exercise. Diet is only half of it. Your heart, lungs, brain, and everything else will thank you.

·
Super Moderator
26,927 Posts

Let me add that excercise need not be so formal either. A regular program is great, but add to it daily activities. Walk or bike whenever you can instead of driving. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park at the back of the shopping center parking lot, etc. There are lots of ways we can do things actively that are of great benefit to our health.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Bucket said:
Buckethead said:
Good luck. Do you have a plan? I only ask because I looked for a long time for something that I felt I could stick with.
I am exactly that way. I decided to join weight watchers on line last year and stuck with it religiously for the first three months and lost 30lbs then I was off and on through the summer and held pretty good. I totally went off in September and put 13 back on. I started back the 1st of the year and have already lost 6 lbs.

It really is easy to follow and if you like to have a few drinks you can. Heck if you like to drink beer and are willing to exercise you can drink quite a few beers for one night a week anyway.If you do cut out the alcohol it goes a lot faster though.

good luck

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'm beginning to think that alcohol is the single biggest consumable affecting weight loss. If I drink I don't lose at all. If I don't drink the pounds melt away.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Regular Beer= 5 pts.
Light Beer= 4 pts.
Ultra Light= 3 pts.
1 shot of hard liquer= 4 pts.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
octagon said:
Regular Beer= 5 pts.
Light Beer= 4 pts.
Ultra Light= 3 pts.
Points? How many points are in a pound? How many points do you burn by running a mile? No offense, but that is why I would never be able to do weight watchers. I'll stick to counting calories.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Bucket said:
octagon said:
Regular Beer= 5 pts.
Light Beer= 4 pts.
Ultra Light= 3 pts.
Points? How many points are in a pound? How many points do you burn by running a mile? No offense, but that is why I would never be able to do weight watchers. I'll stick to counting calories.
I totally understand. WW is not for everbody to be sure. As for running a mile, that would have to be how fast and how long it took you. You can earn extra bonus points with activity but it is based on how energenic and the time you do it in not distance. Sounds hard, but it is a really easy diet. As for points for a pound, it would all depend on the type of food.

For example 1 pound of Tilapia(cooked) is 12 pts. Boneless/skinless Chicken breast raw is 17 pts for 1 pound. NY Strip steak cooked for 1 pound is 28 pts.

I just looked it up. If you run at least 5 mph for 60 minutes you earn 15 bonus pts. That is based on a 12 minute mile or faster.

Like I said, I love this diet(lifestyle) but it may not be for everyone

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
So if a fella(
) were to drink say a pint of vodka watching a hockey game that would be 51pts? 375ml=12.7 one ounce shots. How many points is a 325 guy allowed per day?

Alcohol and WW don't mix well!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Usually around 45. So, if you jump up and down and scream at the game the whole time, you should be good.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JasonN said:
So if a fella(
) were to drink say a pint of vodka watching a hockey game that would be 51pts? 375ml=12.7 one ounce shots. How many points is a 325 guy allowed per day?

Alcohol and WW don't mix well!
Only a pint? What's the matter, you only watching the first 2 periods?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts