The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Very neat... I've seen this time of stuff starting, but never officially a hole from one side to the other. Very cool!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Do you it grew around think it grew around a fallen tree that has since rotted away? May be some other way to explain it. Any other guesses?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I would think maybe something like a buck rub... something that caused it to die and then... oh heck I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
24,238 Posts
That's neat

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Let's all try to figure this out. Duke, you have presented us all with a puzzle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I worked in the woods for close to 20 yrs and have seen this before.. Most of the time when something like this happens its from the tree starting to grow around an old stump then the stump rots away and leaves the hole. Like I said though most of the time not always, Just my thoughts and observations.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
msar said:
Most of the time when something like this happens its from the tree starting to grow around an old stump then the stump rots away and leaves the hole.
I just dont get this concept. By the time the tree would have been tall enough to have to work around a stump, it would have been maybe an inch in diameter. The whole tree would have gone around the stump. The tree wouldnt split in half.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have seen similar holes however they are not usually this close to the ground. They were made with a chain saw when a couple of guys get honey from a bee tree. In fact I had found one years ago and was taking an old friend to get the honey, and by the time we got permission from the landowner someone had already cut the side out of the tree and beat us to the honey, I still pass that tree every now and then and wonder what people think of the square hole in the tree. Just a thought.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was rabbit hunting and it caught my eye from about 75 yds. away.I have walked by it probably 25 times over the last couple of yrs.,only seen it now.I did not get up close and look inside. Maybe those large black ants got to it? I had them destroy a tree on my property;but the hole was halfway up the tree.I'll have to check it out better the next time I hunt there.The tree looked healthy otherwise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
John Henery, Sometimes the seed starts at the top of the old stump growing roots down through the rotting wood then into the ground, Alot of the times it is Black Birch that does this. I'll see if I can find one like I'm talking about later this year and post a pic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.