The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? For those of you who are holding coyotes in your cable restraints what kind of cable are you using? I'm using 7x7 3/32 cable and their chewing through it like butter. In PA you have to use 7x7, 1x19, or 7x19 and the minimum diameter you can use is 3/32. This is the first cable restraint i checked this morning at 6:00, as i was walking up to it i saw the catch circle then saw the coyote lunge and snap the cable and take off running, and i couldnt get a shot at it. There was no entanglement at all. That would of been my first coyote.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try using 2 swivels...one midway and one at the anchor. The coyote is untwisting your cable making it easy to chew through.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm thinking is maybe i need bigger cable, just wondering what people who do catch them are using.

·
Registered
640 Posts
1/19 3/32, I don't think we can use 1/8 cable unless they changed the regs. I never had a coyote chew threw any of mine, a red fox almost chewed threw one but I got him in the nick of time(that was 7x7 1/32 cable). a 2nd swivel would probably help.

Dan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You have some GREAT answers so far.

You can see the seperation at the whammie.

Dear Lord, he did some chewin'! Probably has a pretty smile right about now.

At least he didn't break the BAD. I've had one break out at the BAD! What poundage BAD are you using, by the way?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Banjoman- I believe its a #285 break away device

i took another cable restraint and set it five foot off the catch circle on the same trail. there were a lot of other coyote tracks around the area so hopefully they come back and maybe i catch one of them. I also have two other trails set within 50 yards so i guess i might still be able to catch the coyote i had today on one of those other trails.

we got a lot of snow now so i just walked around the edge of the field where I always see tracks in the snow and set my cable restraint on my walking trail. Do any of you guys do that? I really like using these cable restraints, i just need to get my setup a little better so i don't keep losing them. I just added midline swivels to all the ones i still had at home, i'll replace the ones i have out now with them tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
12,813 Posts
Re: Holding Coyotes with cable restraintsk

Ive held 2 last year in 1x19...i attach my snare swivel to my anchor by a crunch proof swivel...it adds a good bit of swiveling action and adds 2 more swivel points...neither one unwound the cable at all...other than being bent up a bit they were fine....

I shark fish with 7x7....shark teeth are designed to cut...a coyotes isnt...ive.never had a shark fray or break a cable...upto 7-8ft 100+lb fish....a coyote breaks out by.unwinding the cable....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Mauser06- Thanks for clarifying that for me. On all my foot traps i have 3 swivels I dont know why it didn't click that I should do the same thing with my cable restraints. This is my first time using cable restraints and I've definitely learned a lot already and its only been a couple days.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts

I had big plans to add a mid-line swivel to my cables this years until I spoke with Newt at the NY Convention. He said, "Don't do it. It gives them something to focus chewing on."

He had some made up for otters, because otters will roll and roll until the cable comes undone....but he claimed coyotes will just chew on the swivel and break it.

I still haven't completely abandoned the idea a second swivel though, I'd just keep it closer to ground level than mid-line. I agree with Mauser that they first twist the cable open and then finish by chewing it apart.
Make a loop end in your cable and attach the other end in a vise. Start twisting and see just how long it takes to come undone....it will surprise you just how easily it happens.

This one was all twisted up, but not chewed on. 1x19 cable.

I've been playing around with loading the 1x19 and i've got it down pretty good. It is much harder to work with than 7x7, and I think that is the reason most people don't like it. I hate it unloaded....love it loaded.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Are you talking about using crunch proof swivels? That would suck if they broke through one of those but I'll never underestimate a coyote again after seeing what one did to my cable today. And I'm not sure what you mean by loaded and unloaded?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Perhaps Fairchild17 will provide pics but....simply put....A loaded restraint holds a perfectly circular shape when set. An unloaded restraint holds a tear-drop shape when set.

Dietsch just had pics up recently of a beautifully loaded cable restraint.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

That would be unloaded

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

oh ok thank you banjoman I didn't know that was called "loaded", any tips on how to make one loaded. I tried making them more circular by changing the way i placed the support collar onto my wire hanger but i was having trouble with it and they ended up being more teardrop looking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts