The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a Hog hunt at Cypress Creek Hunting Lodge in SC. Highly recommended. The hunting is free range and the lodging and guides are top notch. Very reasonable and I saw hogs and lots and lots of Turkeys (> 100). Shot a nice 175# russian boar. I think Turkey season starts on the 15th of March down there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
GL,
Great to hear that you scored on a hog. Please post up some pics. I'm headed to Cypress Creek in May for a 2 day hog hunt. This will be my second time hunting with Danny. I'm anxious to hear any details you can give on how many hogs you saw, other hunters success, etc. Cypress Creek is hard to beat.

V

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I don't mean this as a cut in any way, but I'd like to see pics of a free range South Carolina "russian boar". If they are free range, they are good ol South Carolina feral pigs, not russian boars.

Again, not meant as a cut GL. It only takes a few generations of wild breeding and many feral hogs are very similar to european wild hogs, especially the solid black males.

Here goes one. 200 lbs on the nose.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Good job on the kill! Post some pics and I'd like to know the same information Venatic previously posted. Russian or not its free range, and id rather shoot a mixed feral without fences, then a russian in them.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
SQUIRREL PELT said:
Russian or not its free range, and id rather shoot a mixed feral without fences, then a russian in them.
Absolutely! Like I said, my comment was in no way meant as a cut. I'd also like more details on the outfitter, I hunt SC every year.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The feral hogs at Cypress Creek are not pure European or Russian boar but many have strong Russian characteristics. I shot a 230 lb. boar in 2002 very similar to the one loridr posted a picture of. You can check out the Cypress Creek website and blog.

http://www.cypresscreekhunting.com

V

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Thanks for the link, Venatic, I'll check it out.

BTW, there was an extremely interesting show, I believe on Discovery Channel, about this very subject. (This was not the History Channel Monster Quest episode on mega feral hogs, it was a different show.)

It was an investigation into the growing feral hog problem in the United States, including genetic testing to determine the extent, if any, of European genetics in feral hogs in the US. So far the genetic testing is not conclusive, but experts do see physical characteristics in bone structure, as well as behavioral traits, in some US feral hogs that suggest a possible genetic link.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It was Discovery, it was called "the hog bomb".

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for not getting back to this thread. I added a picture of the hog that I got. Whether it is a true Russian or not I am not sure but it does have the nice mane in the back and it had pretty good tusks. My wife and I am going back down on the 29th for some turkey hunting in the morning and boar hunting in the evening. I will post pictures if we get anything.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
That is a nice hog. I'm surprised he did'nt go more than #175, or was that dressed weight? Maybe just the pic angle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, I just got back from my hog and turkey hunt at Cypress Creek. My wife shot a big hog, knocked it down and then it got up again and took off. She hit it in the neck and must have missed some vital organs. Saw lots of turkeys but did not bag one. Wife had 4 gobblers at 20 yards and could not get a shot. My son did get a nice 120 lb feral hog which should be some good eating. All in all a great time. Saw lots of hogs and turkeys.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time!

Word of advise to hog hunters: Hogs are super tough critters, best to shoot them in the head and drop them on the spot, or next best, in the boiler room. I've seen a lot of hogs lost to neck shots.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Re: Hunting Lodge

free rannge is the only way to hunt hogs ! any other way is just shooting pigs

congrats on the nice hog!

what it cost to kill a pig in a pen you can hunt free range hogs in Texas for a week just need to find the right place to hunt

again congrats pal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Hunting Lodge

I saw on the website for Cypress Creek that someone shot a 350lb hog there. That is one big hog!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts