The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good deal on a hog hunt...any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
In PA or out of state, I guess is a good start. In PA you will be getting basically a canned hunt. If you want something else, go south. I have hunted in PA for hogs, and knew what I was getting into (hunt with my father). We both took nice Russians. If you go in PA for Russians, wait until after it gets cold. That way the boars "hair" up and have a better mount (if that is what you are doing).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I spend quite a bit of time on a taxidermy website and 1 of the guys on there have been marketing boar hunts in Western Pa. I don't know anything about it, but the price is good and its close. Heres a link to his for sale add... http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,170290.0.html

I have been to backwaterboars.com several times and it is an unbelievable experience. I have hunted boars in several states and these guys are the best of the best!

·
Registered
416 Posts
was there once basicly lined up as a drive and walked the island trying to push out game very thick cover some places .good for bow hunt gotta watch with guns cant shoot all directions gotta wait till there in the right spot island about a mile long maybe 2 or 3 hundred yard wide.overall ok we had to walk alot maybe back and forth 5 times till everyone got something.

·
Registered
968 Posts
been to the island 6 years straight now going up on the 30th. Lot of walking easy flat walking but some places are thick with a lot of blow downs and river debris. Never hunted with a gun always a bow, but those with guns just have to watch their shots and the guides will be right there to make sure of that. It is what it is not really a challenge but I always go with a group of friends and we have a blast. I have been there 3 times now where 1 or 2 people didn't get hogs cause we didn't find them, also have to be carefull not to push them too hard cause they WILL jump in the river and swimhad that happen 3 times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I pay 350.00 and walk the island till i get something? how does it work?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You park at a public boat launch on the Susq River. They boat you across at around 8:00 AM.

You hunt - the island is very thick - until you kill something or decide not to.

If you kill something, you pay $350.00.

They have an old hut on the island with a woodstove and seating. They make a lunch and feed you after the hunt.

It was okay.

I shot this ram:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've hunted boar twice at Caryonah Hunting Lodge in Crossville Tn. It was a nice drive. Great to go with friends. They take care of you real good. First time was a real hunt over dogs. Took us to the largest part of the preserve and let the dogs go. I shot a nice Razor back. Second year, the guide was out of shape and he wouldn't go to the back of the property. So we could see some of the fences. I refused to shoot anywhere near a fence. P O'ed the guides, but I was a paying. I shot a nice Russian.. Ran it with the dogs for over an 1 1/2. The dogs were spent. I got a bullet in it, then ended up knife-in it. Three days, guides, two all you can eat meals a day, one boar, and lodging was 700.00 back then. Wonder how much it would be now? The meat was really good. Got to do the roast slow cooked in the crock pot!

Russ

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just checked the site. Now it's 825.00 for two days and nights. To rich for my blood for a hog. I had a pal that did a hunt in Fl. He said it was good. I enjoy huntin over dogs though. Not all the places do it. Mountain Meadow in WV looks pretty nice. They say 700.00 for a trophy hog, 1 1/2 days and lodging/meals.

Boy now I want to go hog hunting again.

Russ
Russ

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have a friend that is going to Fla to visit his brother and hunt hogs. Don't really know the details, but I know that a out of state hunting license is only $40 and I think you can hunt hogs all year

·
Registered
363 Posts
Funny I am sitting here w/ the island exotic flyer on my desk..answered some ofmy questions w/out asking....now just to decide if I do this or a sika hunt in MD

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Go to MD and have a real deer hunt, not one where they release a pen raised hog on an island.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[censored] yea, WHISPERING HOLLOWS IS THE PLACE, if you have never been there you need to go, they have everything and its not an easy hunt, many places you just walk up and shoot, this is actually a challenge, SHAWN DICKENS is an awesome guide ... you will have the hunt of a lifetime and it is very affordable

1 - 19 of 19 Posts