The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing a hog hunt at Island Exotics. Has anyone been there and did you enjoy the hunt?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope and I wouldn't ever go there! Exotic Island, what a joke. Spend your money on a real hog hunt for hogs that weren't raised in a pen and turned loose to be shot. You will have more fun and feel better about yourself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know someone that went, and the hogs they were to "hunt" went across the the island on the boat with them. They were set loose then they went to find them and shoot them.
Not a way I would want to "hunt". But to each their own.

·
Registered
806 Posts
can you shoot them in the boat on the way over, i dont want to get my feet muddy!

ps: I have been on many canned hunts, (One hog we had to wake up to shoot)

check into The wilderness, or the tioga ranch, I think the wilderness in the best experience you can get for a canned hunt.
look

·
Registered
416 Posts
been there had a great time its wat you make of it chased the rams up and down the island 5 times till i could get a good shot within bow range .gun would be pretty easy but the bows were fun 2 guys shot pigs with guns they were just farm pigs but were good eating lol

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
brewyak said:
do they castrate the hogs to make them even more like a farm hog?
I hunted with a guide several years at Deerfield Plantation who's mother and stepfather owned and operated a 20,000 acre shooting preserve in Florida.

She told me that they did in fact trap a percentage of the young boars and castrate them, then turn them lose. When adults, the castrated males made the best eating hogs if that's what a client was after (an eating hog as opposed to a trophy boar).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where would you go on a hog hunt then. I'm looking for under 500dollars

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That will be a little tough for under 800.00 for wild hogs but check for wild boar hunts on google to see what is available. I am leaving soon for a hunt in GA for 800.00, 2 days of hunting three nights lodging and food while I am there, allowed 2 hogs. I thought that was a pretty good price.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
HuntPhilipsburg said:
I was thinking about doing a hog hunt at Island Exotics. Has anyone been there and did you enjoy the hunt?
It is what you make of it. Beats going to a grass lawn and smacking a little white ball. Not a "wild boar" hunt.

I shot a ram there, and it made a real nice mount, but it wasn't very challenging.

The pigs were domestic barnyard pigs. While hunting the rams I swear I saw a pig talking to a spider.

It was fun and the price was good and I would probably do it again for the meat, but a wild boar hunt it is not.

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
HuntPhilipsburg said:
Where would you go on a hog hunt then. I'm looking for under 500dollars
You're not going to find an outfitted wild hog hunt for that kind of money.

If you look around in the south, you might find an outfit where you pay a daily trespass fee though, usually these fees are reasonable. They don't include any services though other than the use of a stand, you'd have to stay in a motel and find your own meals.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ive said before...I got a guided hog hunt in Georgia for 4 days...we supplied our own food...for 400. and we saw hogs, lots and got hogs

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
cwa1104sab said:
Ive said before...I got a guided hog hunt in Georgia for 4 days...we supplied our own food...for 400. and we saw hogs, lots and got hogs
That was a good deal. Outfitter name / web site?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Eric- it was primitive only...bow, muzzleloader, crossbow. I think we talked about it before, if not give me a holler and we will. It really was first rate.

Loridr, guys name was Gary Frye his outfit was happyacres. If you google it and add hog hunts you should come up with site, if not let me know and Ill check my favorites. Theres a picture of me in it(good looking mofo). Gary and his wife Mary own a campground and he started his guiding business last year. Any other info just ask. BTW for those thining of driving...from here on Long Island it took 15 hoours to drive, not bad-all I95 till the last 45 minutes

·
Registered
372 Posts
Low,

Gary couldn't be nicer. He's a real cool guy to sit and BS with or hunt with. Truth be told if I was a better shot I woulda had one on my first day (missed at 32 yards) got one my second day that we smoked the shoulder and had for dinner that night, and by the end of the third day I was just hanging drinking beer and not hunting. I figured I went, I saw, I got, I was just gonna relax for a day. PLENTY of hogs. They came in packs of 20-30 at a time. Best hunt for the money Ive ever been on. I'm probably going back this year for a gator hunt since Georgia is a quota system (kinda like points out west) I think this year I'll have enough to get my tag. Now that should be different

Sab

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
My buddy (one of the guides from Deerfield) killed a 12 footer this season in Georga, gettin a full mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to Whispering Hollows in Clearville, PA. Myself and two other friends did a turkey/southern pig hunt. We had a great time. The terrain was awesome there was loads of wildlife on the preserve. The pig I got was a red southern pig about 210-220 lbs. Last saturday was the southern hog jamboree. They are having another one in June. For the jamboree it was $300 for the hog and was a guarunteed hunt. I think the regular price is $350. The owner and guides are awesome. The prices are very reasonable. We will definatly be going again in the future. If anybody has been looking for a good hunt they should check this place out. This is the website if anybody wants to check it out. http://www.whisperinghollows.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts