The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PGC recently made some changes to the regulations that may permit certain repeaters to be used. Here are the applicable changes:

Definition of muzzle loader: Muzzleloading firearm—

(i) A firearm designed and manufactured to be loaded with loose ammunition components (projectile and propellant charge) from the muzzle or forward, open end of the firearm’s barrel.

(ii) The term includes breech-loading rifles and handguns that fire loose ammunition components comparable to a muzzleloading firearm.

(iii) The term does not authorize a firearm that accepts cartridge ammunition.

Permissible muzzle loader for the early season: Muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the muzzleloading deer season with a muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

It is percussion, fires a 44 caliber or larger ball and has a single barrel: Uberti 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Target Carbine : Cabela's

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
A breech loader is not a muzzle loader as far as I'm concerned. I don't care that it might use loose components. I don't think they should be allowed.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Not for it.
Only arms in Oct season should be muzzleloading sidelocks flint/percussion and no scopes.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I'm thinkin they're gonna hang their hats on the fact that it is loaded thru the front of the cylinder chamber mouths, not the single barrel's muzzle...hence muzzleloader.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well holedigger, did you read the change in definition of muzzleloader? "Muzzle loader" now includes some breech loaders.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Then they'll have to change the season to "primitive firearms" IMO. I don't care what they call it, if it doesn't load from the muzzle, then its not a muzzle loader. That would be like saying a Fiat is a Volkswagen just because its roof is round.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is percussion, fires a 44 caliber or larger ball and has a single barrel: Uberti 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Target Carbine : Cabela's
Given that the maximum safe load listed in the manual is just 30 grains, I wouldn't plan on using that one past typical archery ranges. But with any rule changes, someone will start creating their one modern designs. Won't be long until you see the ads for the 200 yard 50 cal ultra magnum black powder repeater.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There already is a 50 caliber six shot cap and ball revolver. A thousand of them were made up 30 years ago. They would be permitted right now as well I guess.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in that wording that would allow repeating firearms to be used. I doubt that is what they had in mind and I also doubt that will pass. They will also have to change the name of the season because Breech and muzzle are words with exact opposite meanings. Additionally it is a far stretch to consider a cylinder that loads from the from a breech, which is the back end of a rifle. This is wishful thinking at best.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not a proposal. already in effect. Passed by the Board Yes I agree that they probably did not intend such a thing. They probably intended to permit sharps percussion and ferguson flint breech loaders Problem is that they have folks who have limited knowledge of firearms tech writing these regs.

The law no longer says the gun must shoot a 44 cal or larger ball. It says the long gun must be 44 caliber or larger. So now a sabot with a smaller than 44 caliber bullet seems permitted.

It would seem that if the bullet goes in the rear of the barrel, it is a breech loader. if the bullet goes in the front it is a muzzle loader.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is my thinking, I had not heard they were making a change.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm not seeing the issue here, most breach loading percussion rifles I've seen are all old school mid 1800's style rifles. The whole metallic cartridge thing kind of killed any further development after the mid 1870's

I believe due to the design only minie type projectiles work so it's not like they can use sabots or any other modern projectile. Your basically gaining a slightly faster reload time while still being limited to iron sights so pretty much a wash.

I know I would have bought an 1859/1863 Sharps before I bought my CVA if it had been legal.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well holedigger, did you read the change in definition of muzzleloader? "Muzzle loader" now includes some breech loaders.
Nope, missed that point somehow in my scan of your post - sorry. So, in re-reading it all, it appears #1 and #2 are kind of opposed to each other? #1 seems to say a muzzle loader is loaded from the muzzle - period. Then #2 says a muzzleloader can be loaded from the breech? They're not gonna be happy till flintlock becomes "modern" muzzleloaders too........

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I believe pa is the only dedicated flintlock only season left in the country. Although I did just get a traditions pa pellet which is probably the most “modern” flintlock out there I truely hope it stays that way. The inlines are fine in the early season but they need to leave the traditional season alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts