The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into trapping, but the fleshing part kind of scares me to be honest lol. I'm not too sure I can do it. I can do the skinning part, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to flesh and dry the pelts, let alone the area.

What are some alternate things I could do that fur buyers would accept? I live close to fayette fur post, does anyone know if they accept non fleshed pelts?

I would be targeting raccoons to start with, they keep trying to get my chickens... Duke DP's maybe?

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YodelDog827 said:
You can find buyers that will buy pelts unfinished. You will not get as much money as a finished stretched pelt.
is it a significant amount difference? I'm not looking to make mad money, the idea of trapping has always interested me. Just dunno where to start lol

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Call Floyd and Allen at fayette fur post I bet they will take care of you

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If your looking to "make money" in trapping, good luck! After you buy your traps, lures and fur handling equipment (if you go that route) plus gas at $3.50 a gallon while checking traps. I'm not hear to discourage you but when people say they want to start trapping for a second income they may want to get into something else. Trapping anymore is a sport just like hunting and fishing except you can sell your pelts and make a <span style="text-decoration: underline">little money.</span>

Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,464 Posts
flyguy said:
What to make MAD MONEY that is funny
You ain't kidding.

I still remember the days when I was growing up however and used to get $75 for a fox. Those were all shot in front of my dad's hounds back in the day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last year I just didn't have the time to put up my fur. I just rolled everything skin side in, nose to tail and froze until I took them to Johnson's Furs. I can't remember what I got for coyotes and beaver, but I do remember that I got $12 for my unfinished coon that I would've gotten $17 for if they were put up. This may not always be the case, but I hope this gives you an idea.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I too have not fleshed and stretched my own furs either, but I figure that with the prices where they are, If I screw one up I won't be out that much so I'll tan it myself and keep it.

The wife isn't really looking forward to tanned hides hanging around the house so I'll do my best. Get a copy of "After the Catch" and I think you'll be able to flesh

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just put a sharp knife down on the blade and push forward and down at the same time almost like slicing and scraping at the same time, have the head facing you, Its pretty dang easy, there isnt that much on there. just remove any obvious fat meat then salt it for a few days and throw it in a box untill your ready to pickle a bunch at once, if you plan to tan them. I put them on a strecher after i piclkle them , i also finish fleshing at that point, you dont want to flesh too much before salting, as the salt sets the hair roots in the leather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts