The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hunted the last day of muzzleloader season in MD yesterday. I have had this big buck on my trail camera for awhile now. He came in to me at about 70 yards and gave me a broadside shot. I took steady aim at his vitals and pulled the trigger. He moved back about 10 feet and stood there like he was hit. I really expected him to go down at that point. He then move over in front of me and stood behind a tree at about 50 yards. I was reloading as quickly and quietly as possible. He took off right as I was putting my primer in. This was at about 5PM so dark was coming in fast. I got out of my stand and went to where he stood in front of me and found blood. There were drops of blood on every step he took. Evry once in awhile there were puddles of blood. I track for a short distance and then backed out because it was getting dark. I called a buddy for help. About an hour later we started on the blood trail again. We followed the blood trail trough thickets and accross a stream and accross a large open field into a swamp. By the time we got to this point it was 9PM. The last of the tracking we lost blood for about 30 to 40 yards but his tracks came to another stream in a very dense thicket. It looked as though if he would have gone down stream into this thicket he would be heading back toward my hunting area. We were tired and exhausted. I was afraid that we may have been pushing him so I called the search off. Unfortunately I had to work today and I don't get off until 8am tomorrow morning. My plan is for me and my son to go search that stream and thicket with our yellow lab.
I shot this deer on his right side and my buddy swears that the blood that we were tracking showed the blood on his left side foot prints. Blood was bright red may have been bubbly but not sure about that. We could see where he fell down a couple of times. Any advice or encouragment will be appreciated.
I have plenty of help offered to me but I don't really want to get too big of a crowd in there. I think me and my son can handle the search of this thicket. I was planning on heading up into this thicket in the opposite direction that he is heading and meet up with where we left off. I am not to worried about following a blood trail at first. I will be looking for a dead deer in a small stream that is inside a very dense thicket.
Wish me luck. I have been hunting this buck for awhile now and I finally had my one shot and I blew it. I still don't know what went wrong. I know that I can keep replaying and kicking myself but that won't do me any good. If I don't find him I am hoping he reappears on my trail cam.
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Kinda sounds like it could be a leg wound. Best of luck, though. The dog sounds like a good idea. I'd start out on the downwind side and let him try to get the scent in his nose.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Give this guy a call, he tracked a deer for me last year and his dog is amazing. He loves this stuff

Andy Bensing. 1-610-413-7094

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mike a, Thanks for offering that name and number. I have heard about these guys but I am worried having someone else traveling through other peoples property. I traveled last night through some properties that I have never been on before. My sister owns the property that I hunt on and she called some of the neighbors that I was on last night to get permission. She also knew the other property owners enough to tell me to go ahead.
I just worry that if I get soemone like that all the way down here if we get so far that we are entering properties of people that we don't know.
I will see how things go tomorrow.
How long after the kill can they track?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also thanks for the encouragement. If I find him you bet there will be photos on here. Both trail cam and after the shot photos.
We should have been partying under a nice buck hanging last night instead of walking ourselves to death.

·
Registered
748 Posts
AmazonHunter said:
mike a, Thanks for offering that name and number. I have heard about these guys but I am worried having someone else traveling through other peoples property. I traveled last night through some properties that I have never been on before. My sister owns the property that I hunt on and she called some of the neighbors that I was on last night to get permission. She also knew the other property owners enough to tell me to go ahead.
I just worry that if I get soemone like that all the way down here if we get so far that we are entering properties of people that we don't know.
I will see how things go tomorrow.
How long after the kill can they track?
I saw the use of a tracking dog (bloodhound) on a hunting show on TV. A guy had shot a nice buck and couldn't find it. He called the guy with the tracking dog 3 days after he had shot it. It had rained in that time also. The dog didn't appear to have any trouble finding it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not a problem. On another site he says 3-4 days under the right circumstances.

As long as you have permission it shouldn't be a problem tracking.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my son and I searched the remaining areas I wanted to search which consisted of a dense thicket, swamp, and stream. I had our yellow lab with us and he was all over the place in areas we couldn't get into. My son takes him our on hiking trips all the time and he says if he finds a dead deer carcas he will not leave it.
Anyway no luck finding the deer. We then back tracked back to my treestand and found the impact location which we couldn't find in the dark the other night. There is a patch of brown hair with no blood at all. The blood didn't show until he went a few paces. In that patch of hair there is a clump of hair that has a small piece of hide on it that is about the size of a dime. Based on that I am thinking it was a grazing wound which gives me hope that he will survive. I definately can't say we didn't put an extreme effort into searching for him. I just hope now that through the upcoming weeks he re-appears on my trail camera. Maybe I will get lucky and have another shot at him next Saturday but that would be dreaming. I once again missed my opportunity at the biggest buck I ever shot. I will be out there with the muzzleloader again next Saturday and bow season stays in for the entire month of January in MD.
Thanks for all of the input and encouragement.
Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I would take your dog back in their again sometime soon.My Border collies every once in awhile bring a deer leg home and I am like,Where in the heck did you find it.They still never tell me.

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
There were drops of blood on every step he took. Evry once in awhile there were puddles of blood.
Blood was bright red may have been bubbly but not sure about that. We could see where he fell down a couple of times.
There is a patch of brown hair with no blood at all. The blood didn't show until he went a few paces. In that patch of hair there is a clump of hair that has a small piece of hide on it that is about the size of a dime. Based on that I am thinking it was a grazing wound which gives me hope that he will survive.
Sorry to say but what you described is not a grazing wound. They don't fall down and leave puddles of blood from a graze.

Go back to the last place you saw blood and do a circle search. Expand your circle each time. Start a new circle when and if you find more blood. Sounds like this deer is done. Good luck. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If you shot this buck in PA I would say good effort sorry you didn't find it. But this happened in MD and for the life of me I don't understand why you didn't call Andy. I'm sure your dog has come across dead deer before but I'm also sure your dog doesn't hold a candle to a professional tracking dog like Andy's. Sorry, no sympathy from me since you decided not to utilize all resources at your disposal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We take a dog for a walk even here in Pa if we can't find one. Utilize everything you can to find that deer. If it was stopping and finding pools of blood, he's hit pretty good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm with Mr. Bridger and Hammerdown, The blood trail goes from bright red and bubbly to no blood at all until a few paces? The deer goes from falling down several times to being a grazing shot? Hmmm....Somebody offers a blood hound tracking dog and your worried about getting permission, I'm sure your neighbors would rather have a rotting trophy buck never found (that they have probably been hunting also) than a hunter score the biggest buck of his life...Things just don't add up for me, no offense.

Bubbly Blood = Lung Shot NOT shaving some hair off its back

1 - 20 of 72 Posts