The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a beautiful 8pt yesterday at 9:00am. 20yds, wasn't rushed looked like a perfect shot. Thought for sure he didn't go far. Waited 1 hour before tracking. Good blood trail, bright red w bubbles. Tracked him down the mountain 400 yards! into an area that is THICK with briars. At this point blood is dry. Then I found a BIG Pool of bright red blood where he must have bedded down. Then 20 more yards of FRESH blood..and all of a sudden, nothing! Last blood wasn't like it was a speck, there were 3 globs of good blood. From that point on we were on our hands n knees looking but no luck. Headed back this morning. Any advise /tips would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
go to the last blood with some help. Line up and start a grid search. Try to hang flagging on the end of your grid so you can be fairly sytematic about it. good luck!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had help yesterday with my buddy...we looked hard from the last blood. I'm gonna head back to last blood and look again. Theres a pond nearby ill check that to. Is it possible he just could of stopped external bleeding just like that?

·
Registered
183 Posts
if the globs of blood were thick and red, that could be a sign of clotting. a deer's blood can clot up to four times faster than a human's. is it possible you hit him high ? the area above the vitals could be a muscle shot.. resulting in clotting. my advice would be to get into the thickest cover around and have an arrow nocked in case hes still kickin'

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't high..looked like a great shot..last 20yds of blood trail was bright red and fresh..not thick either. I think i may have bumped him because the blood I was tracking for a while was getting dry...the last 20 yards from the big pool of blood was fresh. It is super thick with briars where im tracking..brutal!

·
Registered
386 Posts
My deer this year pulled the same stunt, I got luck and found him by doing a grid search over 100 yards from last blood. After I found him I searched the area he died in and there was no blood that I could find any where. He's dead somewhere, water is a great place to look. Stay calm and don't get down on yourself. You were good enough of a hunter to find him and shoot him once, this is just like getting a second chance to hunt him

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like you bumped him. They're tough buggers. Every shot is unique. One deer might fall right over, while another with a similar shot might walk around for 5+ minutes then fall over. Sometimes when you only nick the edge of one lung they can hold on for some time. Good luck!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hit my buck through the top of the heart and both lungs and stuck in the opposite shoulder on Tuesday. At the point of impact, blood everywhere. In 20 yards it was drops. I followed some tracks in the ground that looked like a deer running and stumbled across a little more blood. Never found another drop of blood. I started glassing and following a straight line and found him just over the hill.

Don't give up, he's out there somewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Keep in mind buck this time of year can run on adrenaline for quite a way even with a well placed shot. Don't throw in the towel and good luck recovering him.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well sorry to report that I had no luck finding the buck...ironically 1 year ago to the day and nearly same time of the morning I shot a 8pt and trcked him to the same area and never found him either! Sick to my stomach. However decided to come out and give it 1 more shot today...and its on! 730 I wass covered in bucks all chasing 1 doe..all around my stand..I literally ws yelling nd they didn't care...managed to stop another 8pt which I shot at and hit a branch! I cnt catch a break! It was awesome tho!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yep, try a grid search no doubt. Always remember, if in doubt back out. If you aren't 100% sure that deers down I'd leave for a minimum of two hours. It's been cold enough lately that spoiling meat won't be a problem. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
Bright red blood w/bubbles=lung. Sounds like only one if he went that far. Usually 50-100 yards for both lungs. Deer can and do live with one lung hits.

If you don't find him soon check for buzzards in a few short days....If he is dead they will be there. At least you can tag the antlers and check for what happen on the hit?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts