The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time at camp hinge cutting some trees around our small apple trees. Did not do too many as they were getting hung up in the canopy, hard to pull down. Need a longer rope and quad next time. My Howard Nursery order did not arrive in time so we spent the weeknd cutting up downed trees on the trails and around the property. Nice 3 day vacation even tho we worked hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a park, its deer habitat and cover. Pole timber a bit crowded to drop easy. Deer will eat the tops all spring and summer. Will take quad next time to pull more down. Need to get more sun to the apple trees

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Messy? That looks beautiful! Nice work on the hinge cuts WJ! Are they mostly maples? Getting hung up on other trees can definitely be an issue....we often have trouble with grape vines linking up several trees.

Sunlight to the forest floor is a great thing for all kinds of critters. If that is close to your apple trees, you could probably even rake/blow those leaves outta there and throw down some clover seed to complement the apple trees.

Do you have anything else coming from Howard beyond the sawtooths?

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Nice WJ! That will let some sunlight hit the forest floor.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice work there WJ! Lookin good! Stinks that your howard nursery order wasn't received in time.
Thanks, I orderd the first day and still have not gotten them
OAWC, only sawtooth. Wanted some chestnuts too but not offered.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice WJ! That will let some sunlight hit the forest floor.
Mostly maple and some ash. Untill we can hinge the smaller stuff the 8" stuff cant come down without hanging up in the canopy.
Don't think the larger stuff will hinge cut well. Deer only travel the back edge of this woodlot to go down to the bigger apples and pond . Hopefully the hinging will attract some browsers

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think he means the hinge cuts are useless without lighting a fire (flicking a Bic lighter).

The hinges will still produce good stump sprouts and provide browse on the top of the tree at ground level.

I guess he feels the leaf litter will keep the existing seed bank from germinating....but not sure.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Nice work, WJ. Howard not getting you your sawtooths in time just sounds to me like a good reason to make another trip to camp! ;)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he means the hinge cuts are useless without lighting a fire (flicking a Big lighter).

The hinges will still produce good stump sprouts and provide browse on the top of the tree at ground level.

I guess he feels the leaf litter will keep the existing seed bank from germinating....but not sure.
Hinge cuts are for the apples, anything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work, WJ. Howard not getting you your sawtooths in time just sounds to me like a good reason to make another trip to camp! ;)
Problem is only time we both have together to go is end of May. I may have to go myself opening turkey weekend . Just a long drive and a lot of work for 1 guy if caging and staking them. . Will have to put seedlings in cooler on ice to keep them dormant. Hope they survive that long

·
Registered
887 Posts
Meant to say that hinge cutting is rather pointless without prescribed burning. Opening up the canopy is great if followed by a controlled burn.

Most of the consultants in the industry have moved away from hinge cutting and only use it as a method to steer deer.

Personally I'd just cut those trees up for firewood. The few stump sprouts you "might" get may provide a snack for 1 or 2 deer.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meant to say that hinge cutting is rather pointless with prescribed burning. Opening up the canopy is great if followed by a controlled burn.

Most of the consultants in the industry have moved away from hinge cutting and only use it as a method to steer deer.

Personally I'd just cut those trees up for firewood. The few stump sprouts you "might" get may provide a snack for 1 or 2 deer.
Past experience shows the tops leafing out for a few years . That's the purpose of leaving a strip of bark connected. Maybe not a full blown leaf out but much more than stump sprouts.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Meant to say that hinge cutting is rather pointless without prescribed burning. Opening up the canopy is great if followed by a controlled burn.

I'd like to know who these consultants are.

Myself and many others have had tremendous success with hinge cutting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts