The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever do this? I have a friend that has 28 acres of mountain land that has deer, turkey and bear that come through. Only thing is it's too open, no underbrush. He was thinking of hinge cutting the trees to make it thick plus having good cover.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where I'm talking about is on the sunny side of the mountain, the top is thick laurel with oak trees and June berry trees.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Yes, a very useful habitat technique given some forethought, proper conditions, and safety precautions.

There are a few threads in this forum on the subject...and some of the guys have some good pictures of what they have done in their threads.

If possible, post up some pics of the project area please.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, I have done it and have been really happy with how my areas are turning out. As O stated, some forethought into what you want to accomplish is key. You can use it to dictate where you want deer to travel, bed, etc.
Some trees hinge better than others, do not try to hinge trees greater than say 6-7 inches diameter. I use a hook to either push or pull tree over. This allows me to only cut thru tree minimum amount that i have to and then I can push it over or pull it over. This leads to a better chance hinge staying intact and tree staying alive for several more years.
Good luck if you decide to do it.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one section has pole timber in it, it was cleared a while back. That's where he wants to start. As soon as I can get up there I'll take some pics

·
Registered
806 Posts
You Commented "NO UNDERBRUSH" that is a direct result of no sunlight hitting the ground. Do a small clearcut.
let the sun in. it works excellent.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it ok to start hinge cutting now?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
You can hinge cut now but if it is cold the trees are more likely to snap off rather then hinge. I like it to be above 50 degrees.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Our place is likely to see some hinge cuts every time I have the saw in my hand - ha. I'm not afraid to hinge any time of year....especially when the tree I'm hinging has no value standing up - read MAPLE.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
My best suggestion is don't over do it. In my opinion it is better to do a little bit every year so you have various stages of growth. One area I did one time I hingecut too much and the deer quite using that small area as it was too thick for them to move thru. Better to do a checkboard. Like OAWC said start with low value trees like Maple.

You can hinge anytime, but I prefer Feb-March just simply as it is cooler, no hunting seasons are in, underbrush is knocked down, and the deer love getting at the buds on the ends of the branches during a time when food is at a premium. One advantage of doing it soon, is it is easier to identify tree species with leaves on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts