The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this is an old posting, but do any of you guys still hunt in Hillsgrove anymore? I've been hunting Camp mountain for 20+ years, my dad and uncles have been hunting it for close to 40! I'm wondering if you guys were still hunting it, how you were making out?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I'm outside Dushore, this year we went 7 for 9 on bucks. Best year we ever had up there. My work buddy is outside Forkesville and they went 3 for 4 with a 13 point. Also a child hood friend down by Dutch mountain went 3 for 3 on bucks. 16 inch wide 8 points seem to becoming generally common, and don't even get a 2nd look anymore. There were some real monsters killed this year! Also just found out today another work friend on another jobsites group went 2 for 4 in Shunk. Sorry not in Hillsgrove, but everywhere else in Sullivan...

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
My buddy is right on Camp Mountain (Roundtop). They had a lot of sign around camp this year and saw quite a few deer the first week, didn't see any shooter bucks though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My camp is along the Loyalsock creek at Hillsgrove. I shot a buck there during the last week of archery season. I saw four other buck, one dandy that I missed my opportunity with. My brother saw 9 buck the last week of archery season at High Knob. He missed two of them, he is a traditional hunter. I also used to hunt at camp mountain. I parked at the game land parking lot and walked out to the head above the old girl scout cabin. To far to drag a deer or bear if successful.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My first couple deer were shot at our camp near Forksville. On Lambert Hill Road. Not too far from Hillsgrove. A lot of childhood memories hunting and fishing all over Sullivan County with my dad in the 1970s and 1980s. We had permission to hunt the farm across the street and property behind the cabin. The farmer died in the late 1980s (Joe Bahl) and George Lambert bought the farm. He posted it and told the 4 clubs/cabins along the road that we had to hunt elsewhere. Guys ended up buying other camps or hanging it up. A couple guys stuck with the cabin and I believe they have permission to hunt a couple local properties now. Each summer, we'll take a ride over to the old cabin and visit.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts