The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four of us were at camp last weekend archery hunting. Beautiful weather and leaf colors. Saw grouse, turkeys, 5 bear, and only 2 deer. No shots but nice hunt.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm up above Proctor. I hunt up in Cabbage Hollow some.
Seems to be a lot more doe in our area this year. Some of the neighbors have stopped shooting doe. More fawns around this year, although I did find where the coyotes got one last week. Hear the coyotes a few nights a week in our area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Funny that someone mentioned Hillsgrove. I was cleaning out some old hunting gear last week and came across this:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hillsgrove Country Store is a definite throw back. I grew up in VA and visited a place called Slims in Williamsville, VA as a kid. The only thing missing in in this store is the sawdust on the floor and the potbelly stove.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
rt9bil said:
Funny that someone mentioned Hillsgrove. I was cleaning out some old hunting gear last week and came across this:

I grew up going to Hillsgrove. That store has always been a part of my life. It's for sale now. I hope it goes to the right person who will run it the way Dennis Renninger used to.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I as well grew up going to hunt in Hillsgrove. I bought that hat in '99, the last time I was up there. Great place to hunt and fish.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Dennis hasn't owned it for a while has he? Always liked going to the store. He must have had people stealing from him because every time I turned around, there was Dennis staring at you. Can't say I blame him.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Hillsgrove Store was hopping when the Miller family had it in the 60's and 70's . Sighting a deer these days is a rare time indeed .

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Bistro said:
Four of us were at camp last weekend archery hunting. Beautiful weather and leaf colors. Saw grouse, turkeys, 5 bear, and only 2 deer. No shots but nice hunt.
Bistro , we must be neighbors up there . In the early days was a member of Mill Creek Camp and more recently am a member of Seven Valleys Camp . Would love to meet up and chat when you are up for a weekend . Good luck and enjoy the Endless Mountains !

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Finn Anthony said:
The Hillsgrove Store was hopping when the Miller family had it in the 60's and 70's . Sighting a deer these days is a rare time indeed .
Were they the first ones to run the store?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Finn Anthony said:
Bistro said:

Bistro , we must be neighbors up there . In the early days was a member of Mill Creek Camp and more recently am a member of Seven Valleys Camp . Would love to meet up and chat when you are up for a weekend . Good luck and enjoy the Endless Mountains !
I pass that camp all the time since the Hoagland Branch road has been closed. I like to hunt Hogback, Slab run, and Bear Wallow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the beech or oak hit up there on the Wyoming State Forest land in the Forksville area. I haven't been able to make it up this fall yet, but hope to be up this coming weekend and again in bear season. I know it was pretty cold at times in April, I'm concerned it impacted the food sources on the mountain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No beechnuts but scattered oaks. No idea what the bears are eating. Probably will cause the bears to den early or move.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts