The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family likes to do a fair amount of hiking. My favorite time is late fall or winter. We decided to go for a hike last Sunday in Michaux state forest, which is about 10 minutes from our home. I picked up a book, 60 hikes within 60 miles of Harrisburg, and I have been trying to hike the ones that are close to our home in it. We decided to try out the Sunset Rocks trail. I wanted to do it this past summer at a family reunion, but couldn't get any takers. We had a good time and the weather was perfect. Not too cold, but cool enough that you kept warm from the hike. When it was all said and done we hiked almost 10 miles. Here are a few pictures from it. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area the wants a fairly long but not overly difficult hike.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Yep, about 10 minutes from me too. Worth checking out Camp Michaux too. Google Cumberland County's Historical society for a PDF file detailing the trail markers around Camp Michaux. Very interesting place.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was planning on it. I saw your photos on here from a couple years ago. I turned right off the A.T. instead of left and missed it by a couple 100 yards or so. I might try and head back up this weekend and see if I can find it. I think I am going to drive closer to it so I have time to look and explore it a little. The hike last weekend took us almost 5 hours.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
You can drive right up to it. Michaux Road, between Bendersville/Shippensburg Road and Pine Grove Furnace SP. Just a couple miles west of Pine Grove. Easy find. Historical marker at intersection too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts