The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all kinds of posts about hunting boots but looking for opinions on new hiking boots.

I've had two pair of Danner the last couple years and badly need new ones. I loved the Danners but both pair eventually cracked at the toes and soles started peeling off. the first pair they replaced, but this second pair I've had to long for the warranty. This second pair is now cracked the whole way across the bottom in the middle of my right boot too.

they must be 100% waterproof as the last ones have been.
I wear them for probably 80% of my time out of the house... work, play, hiking, etc.

Any input mucho appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are a number of good companies for hiking boots.

Vasque
Saloman
Merrell
Kayland
Scarpa
La Sportiva
Montrail
Lowa
Asolo

Those are a couple of the good brands that are out there..that list does not include any of the hunting/workboot brands (Danner, Redwing, Rocky) as most people are familiar with them. I have always had good luck with Montrail, Lowa, Vasque and Merrell. I used to work at an outdoors shop and have hiked the AT from Harpers Ferry, WV North to Katahdin, in ME. What I look for in a hiking boot depends on my use (light duty - day hikes, lightweight backpacking, daily use or heavy duty - rough/rocky terrain, heavy packs). I also typically look for a good outsole like Vibram.

That's just my opinion but you can check out more boots online from like Backpacker Magazine, REI, Campmor, EMS, etc..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
For a long time I wore the LL Bean Mt Crests hikers. They have a gortex liner and they have a good amount of support. They offer them in all leather and leather/cordovan. LL Bean also has a 100% lifetime guarentee.
My current pair are made by Asolo. They do not have the goretex liner (my feet sweat too much in the summer). They are also great boots.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
While not waterproof, I have a pair of Vasque 'rough out' mountaineering style hiking boots I bought b/4 I was maried so they are over 30 yrs old.

They are still going strong. It took a couple years to get them broken in!

I wear them twice a year when I work on the hill at the
Freemansburg hillclimb and when I'm doing any ground work at the cabin [I was wearing them when I fell and broke my leg at the cabin two years ago] like weed wacking, etc.

They are a well made boot that has held up for the longhaul...I'm sure they have a modern waterproof version.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I"ve worn vasque sundowners for a heck of a long time. they are gortex, and are totally leather on the out side with only one seam. really tough and comfortable boots in my opinion!

·
Super Moderator
13,202 Posts
My favorite pair was by Rocky. They were ankle high, gore tex, 100 % water proof, smooth leather, very light weight. I wore them for 13 years the sole finally got a little slick and one finally cracked. They were very comfortable, but apparently they don't make that shoe anymore that I can find. Knowing what I know now I would have purchased 3 pair.

I now have several different boots for most conditions, but I am also once again shopping for my perfect hiking boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts