The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a very good pair of gore tex mid height hiking boots 7" or so as to wade small sallow streams...... quality name, non insulation, good sole for Spring Gobbler hunting in the eastern states and will last for years.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
I use Lowa Camino’s for turkeys and like them a lot.

Lowas tend to best fit folks with lower volume/somewhat narrow feet. Just FYI.

I also have Lowa Tibet Hi boots too. They are my all around do anything favorite. But they’re stiffer and heavier than standard hikers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
LL Bean Boots, Goretex & Thinsulate liner. These are perfect for cool weather, light, comfortable, the sole is very quiet when walking, and the sole gives a good grip when crossing streams. The Thinsulate is only 200 grams and would not be too warm for spring turkey. These are not warm enough for long periods of inactivity (i.e. stand hunting) below about 35-40 degrees, regardless of what their website says.

·
Registered
952 Posts
KEEN® Men's Durand II Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots...…...wife and I both picked these up last year(on sale at Cabela's) for a trip. Very comfy and light weight, not sure yet about durability. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
714 Posts
There are a lot of other waterproof options out today and not having to pay for the goretex label anymore. I have used the oboz sawtooth hikers for both spring and fall in the conditions that you mention. One other item I would recommend you look at because I am just coming to realize a massive difference myself over the past 3 months. Research the weight of the shoe. I am wearing trail runners now that are lower and super light weight and I can not believe how much the weight difference is after going several miles in them. I think about this and how much you can be moving when chasing turkeys around the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking at some of the Keens...My only concern for them is the glued on ribbon which holds one set of lace ups. I have a little concern that twigs and briars can possible get caught on/under it and cause the ribbon to Fray/break or tear loose from the boot over time. Is it totally waterproof? I have had issues with waterproofing the than Gore tex.

Also does the size length and width run true?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have been looking at some of the Keens...My only concern for them is the glued on ribbon which holds one set of lace ups. I have a little concern that twigs and briars can possible get caught on/under it and cause the ribbon to Fray/break or tear loose from the boot over time. Is it totally waterproof? I have had issues with waterproofing the than Gore tex.

Also does the size length and width run true?
I "normally" buy my shoes in a size 11-11 1/2 and in wide width. I just checked size on my Keens, 12 wide and they fit me good. Maybe look at 1/2 size up! I can't help with being waterproof or fraying. I use mine mostly for moderate hiking, snow removal, scouting. I typically use lacrosse rubber boots for early season spring turkey especially if planning to be crossing creeks or walking through wet high grass early mornings. I switch to Danner's later on. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Merrell Moab 2 gore-tex. I’ve had keens in the past and they are great shoes, but switched to merrells due to fit being better

Vibram soles, similar to keen...comes in wide width with a nice toe box, and the factory insoles and footbed is great for me having flat feet (although I still use powerstep maxx insoles). Half sizes up to 12.5 iirc (mainly why I switched from keen, easier to find proper sizing)

Their Jungle Moc is also good, pretty waterproof out of the box in all but the heaviest/worst conditions and with proper waterproofing are even better. Soles are softer and less aggressive than the Moab 2 and wear faster but still good. Nice for daily wear

Can be had for about $90 to the door on eBay, maybe less if you get them at a merrell outlet store. Non goretex ones run about $75 to the door on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought the keens....they rubbed my ankles raw....put on heaver socks next trip waded through wet weeds no streams and my feet got wet......Nothing but Gore tex for me anymore.......Should have put the $150 towards better boots.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Another reason I moved away from keen, price was too much for what I got.

Salomon also makes a great boot if you want to put that kind of $ out. Never had a pair myself but everyone I’ve known who has swears by them. Gtx 3 hiker was a consideration for me also but ultimately went back to Merrell

·
Registered
952 Posts
Bought the keens....they rubbed my ankles raw....put on heaver socks next trip waded through wet weeds no streams and my feet got wet......Nothing but Gore tex for me anymore.......Should have put the $150 towards better boots.....

B2H.....not sure which Keens you purchased but realty doesn't matter. I'd be getting ahold of them and sending them back. Nothing worse than a pair of boots that don't fit/leak. Their warranty says 1 year from date of purchase.
Good Luck!

Keen Product Warranty. We stand behind all KEEN products and guarantee them to be free from manufacturing defects for one year from the confirmed date of purchase. ... You will need to keep possession of your shoes until you receive confirmation from us that your warranty claim has been completed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts