The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my local post office in ShermansDale, Pa. I've mailed more than several rifles from there, today a new woman refused to let me send a rifle to a member. I argued with her, but she knew it all. Said I needed "dealer papers". What a moron! I'll go back tomorrow after work, hoping for the regular guy. I'd love to get that ----- fired.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
They've dropped the ball a few times for me in the past few months.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You can download and copy the postal code for firearms shipment. Take it with you, theres nothing quite like the look on their face when you prove them wrong.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Glad it wasnt your...my 280! Heck you mailed that to me in a remmy box!!

Ive heard some ridiculous stuff lately....one guy said his payapl account got locked down for using it on gun stuff and gun broker! If thats the case paypal and ebay are gone in my world !

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
PayPal and Ebay are owned by anti-gun advocates. I have said it before, you are CRAZY for using Paypal, you are funding gun control. Write a check, go to an atm, go to the post office for a money order, don't feed the pig thats pooping outside your front door!
To the OP USPS codes for shipping firearms:
Section 11.3 Shotguns and Rifles
They can make you open the package to verify the gun is not loaded.
They cannot refuse to ship it after inspecting it.
Call your regional supervisor of the USPS and report the worker. Your taxes pay her salary. Make sure she does not use her own skewed judgement to circumvent the law.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I brought it up on my phone, she wouldn't look at it. I will complain to her supervisor, for sure.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The last 2 shipping transactions I have done I have had problems with the post office. I had sent many guns through them before. UPS around here has a drop off store and they refuse to ship guns from there so I use the post office. last month I went there and the only box I had was a ruger box. The kid behind the counter as me what I was shipping and I told him a long gun. He freaked, told me that I couldn't ship it, another clerk came over and he was whispering to him that I had a gun, the other clerk told him it was perfectly legal to ship a firearm via the mail. He didn't believe the other clerk so the manager was called out, in the meantime a line had formed behind me and I was getting alot of ahem's and dirty looks for holding up the line with my gun. The manager came out and told the clerk it was totally legal to ship a longarm in pa. At that point he turned around and said okay but only if it's completely dissasembled. I said sure its completely dissasembled. I mailed it but I was pretty ticked off about the treatment and was worried that someone might do something to the package, fortunately it reached the member here without incident. The next time i did shipping I disguised the box of the gun inside a shelf box of my wifes, I had no problem shipping, however the other member sent me postal money orders to pay and when I took them to my bank they claimed they were counterfeit. I about had a heart attack, they told me I had to take the money orders to the post office to turn them in so they could be tracked. I took them to the post office and 2 managers came out and looked them over and compared them with the ones they had. Once again I had to stand there holding up the line while people behind me sighed loudly and the line built up.(I'm starting to wonder if there's some sort of sign outside that says buckhunter is here so annoying women know to come in and be rude) They verified that the money orders where in fact authentic but warned me the reason the bank freaked is because the latest greatest international scam is sending counterfeit postal money orders for goods so I should be very careful in the future. I then returned to my bank where the bank manager spoke with the local post office managers via the phone, with th post office's authorization the bank accepted the money orders but they had to put a 10 day hold on the funds to verify. I will no longer ship guns unless the person is a good friend or someone I've dealt with before and trust. It sad because thats probably what the anti-gun people want is to make it so uncomfortable that we don't want to do it, but its working.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Buckslayer - try the Post Office in New Bloomfield. I have not shipped any firearms from there, but have found the staff to be excellent and very helpful. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
When little children are attacked by a deranged person..There is a certain segment of society that views all gunowners as savages.When you go to mail a gun in the future be very polite and respectful.There are alot of people in our country that have very little experience with firearms..

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Get the name and post office number of the employee and file a written complaint with the postmaster general with a copies to the local postmaster and your congressman.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does the post office have any kind of training?You would think they should know what they can and can't ship.Carlisle will ship without trouble.Unless they have changed Newville will tell you they can't

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
burk 313, while I agree with you in principle, the over-arching fact is that the OP was denied service because a government employee did not know, or do, his job and got all disoriented over nothing. While I don't think the clerk should be fired he should be retrained on how to deal with customeres and on his job in general.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
are there any restrictions for shipping firearms thru the post office ?? such as out of state ?? to a FFL only ?? what about handguns??

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
The Post Master we had here for several years, would not let anyone other than an FFL holder, ship long guns and no amount of arguing would change his mind. He wouldn't even allow long guns to be sent back to authorized repair centers, despite having the paperwork in hand explaining how to send them back.

I don't believe USPS will ship handguns, unless both parties have an FFL, if even then?

Most around here would go to another town to ship long guns via USPS, because the PM over there actually understood USPS rules. Now our former PM, is the PM in that town.

No problem here since he left. I was gonna ship one of the rifles I sold on here last fall and the babes at the PO counter, gave me two of their triangular Priority Mail shipping tubes for free, to box it up in.

FWIW, most dealers I know, use UPS. And when I got firearms from CMP, they used FedEx.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went back to the P.O. today, walked in, and the same woman was there. To my suprise, she came right over and apologized. The regular postmaster informed her of the rules last night. I sent the rifle out with no problem today. It still torques me a little, but I'm over it I guess...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
When PO clerk questions me. I stand there and let the people behind me wait. I tell the clerk to call the postmaster and make sure all those that are waiting know that the clerk is at fault for not knowing their job.
I actually use a very small post office and have had no problems except once when there was a substitute clerk. Asked her to call the postmaster and she has never questioned it again.
There are a few exceptions such as out of state and handguns.
Out of state can be shipped but must go to a ffl, make sure the ffl you send it to accepts from a non-ffl. Some of them try to cover their a-- and will say they only accept from another ffl. I suggest you ask to use a different ffl if this happens cause its a bunch of crap. If they do transfers within their state they can do it by accepting through the mail.
Handguns must be shipped through UPS or FedEx and go overnight and to a ffl.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
Well I went back to the P.O. today, walked in, and the same woman was there. To my suprise, she came right over and apologized. The regular postmaster informed her of the rules last night. I sent the rifle out with no problem today. It still torques me a little, but I'm over it I guess...
Glad it all worked out for you. To me it sounds like the women is a class act for checking into the situation and apologizing for her mistake. There are alot of restrictions on shipping/mailing items thru the USPS and I am sure its hard for employees to know every single detail. I dont think anyone can say they never made a mistake at work or that they know every single rule or aspect of their job.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am really glad to hear that she apologized to you. That showed some character. I'm sure she was trying to do the right thing, even if she was wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts