The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have one of the high point pistols? i know they are not top shelf just by the price but i'm just looking for something that goes bang when i pull the trigger. pretty much a truck gun.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My uncle has both the 9mm and 45acp. Heavy, clunky, fugly, hard to strip, and yet they have the endearing quality of going bang every time.

I'm normally carrying on my person, but if I was to relegate one strictly to the truck, I'd have no qualms about filling that need with a High Point. Just make sure you take it out to clean and oil it every not and again.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
bobcat said:
anyone have one of the high point pistols? i know they are not top shelf just by the price but i'm just looking for something that goes bang when i pull the trigger. pretty much a truck gun.
I know what you mean...I think I'm going to pick up a hi-point 45 tomorrow. I have my M&P9 but having a 45 is a itch that I need to scratch.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Correct spelling is Hi-point. No big deal but the Hi-point is the quintessential, the good, the bad, and the ugly of handguns.
The Good look at some of the torture test on you-tube, like a Timex it takes a beating and keeps on ticking, I would like to see some high price guns take the abuse the Hi-point did, as well as the ridiculously low price.
The bad too me it feels like a brick in your hand.
The ugly, I don’t think anyone will say it’s a good-looking gun, It reminds me of something from the movie planet of the apes.
Will I ever own one no. If funds were tight and I wanted a good solid range gun, then there would be no reason not to buy one.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
I like my 9mm hi point. I goes bang everytime. It's heavy but I like shooting it better than our Taurus

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
I like my 9mm hi point. I goes bang everytime. It's heavy but I like shooting it better than our Taurus
I agree and much more tolerable shooting than my 9mm Makarov. That little handgun is a handfull to say the least. Are the Hi-points still under $200?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I have a high point in 40s&w--They are not the top of the line but never had a problem--makes a good carry when I'm fishing

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sweet....another opportunity to bash Hi-Points.

Ok, here goes:

Eh, actually, I don't feel like it. As I've said many times on this forum, I don't like them. At all. But some people do. Actually, there are probably more that like them than hate them. Probably wouldn't be bad for a truck gun. I can't even believe I just typed that

Anyway, I've fired a TON of them and most of them 'go bang'. Though they are made with cheaper materials than a higher end gun.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
No problems with my 9...little bulky..but would get the job done if needed...thinking about the carbine the make too!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
bobcat said:
I HAD one. it was fun for just popping off some rounds at a target. it kind of reminded me of the first generation BB gun pistols...you know the ones that you could actually see the BB curve. i swear my hi-point was doing the same thing.

on a good nots.....it was very reliable function wise. never had it jam

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
since i started this i thought i would update. My brother got the c-9 and it did jam some until he tweaked the mags and now it runs great. I put a feeler out for one with a local gun shop and got a call last week to come look at a Stallard. Which i guess is hi-points early ugly step brother. So for $99 i got a gun and 2 boxes of ammo. I shot it and it shoots good. Had to tweak the clip but after that it runs fine and i can shoot fist sized groups at 12 yards with it. i'm happy.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a C9, got used at Gander for $99.
I also have a 995ts. Fun but 10rd mags suck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have one in .40. Goes bang every time and I personally like a heavier gun. I put 150 through it this weekend with no issues at all.

I also have a small concelaed carry but I wouldn't want to shoot it a lot. Light, small gun = lots of recoil.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree, my main reason for owning is to keep in vehicles. Why keep my expensive pistols or revolvers in the vehicle and risk losing them to some punk that wants to break into my vehicle. (If it were to happen). Call and report stolen gun and only out a hi point worth $150 versus 6 to 700. You get the idea..

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought a 9 to keep beside the bed and when i run rounds thru it every now and then it works great. i could't be happier for what I'm doing with it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
picked the carbine up 2 weeks ago great gun...my c9 does what i need it to do...go bang

1 - 20 of 26 Posts