The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to tan coyote hides this time of year? I'm not a fur expert so I thought this would be the place to ask! I was fortunate enough to take my first PA coyote a couple weeks back while gobbler hunting. His hide seemed in nice shape for mid-May I thought, and wasn't mangy. Again, I'm not a fur expert and was concerned he may spoil so I double bagged it and froze him whole until I found out if I could salvage the hide. I just thought it would be neat to get the hide tanned if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Some of the trappers on here could answer your question, also on the trapping forum there is a guy on there that shows a process that he uses . He goes by AndrewC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually after reading your response, maybe I didn't ask my question correctly. I don't want to tan it myself, I was asking generally if coyote hides could be tanned this time of year vs in the colder months when they are in their prime. Thanks.....

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
My guess would be the colder months when the furs are fuller and better quality. Not a trapper or predator hunter , but that is what I interpreted by some of the post that I read over the years. maybe some of the trappers or predator hunters could help you out better than I can.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm sure Hern could give you some good info, send him a PM.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Yes a hide can be tanned any time of the year but the tannery may have off periods during the summer, just means it will take longer, or you can keep it until their tanning period begins. Obviously the quality of the fur will vary on season but the tanning process is the same. My first coyote was trapped in Southern California circa 1974, it certainly wasn't a prime hide, tanned in San Diego. Hunted lots of hot climates, Africa, Mexico, Argentina, no tanning issues. Ok you are not tanning it yourself but are you skinning and fleshing it? If it is full body frozen you can take it to a taxi and have them thaw and skin/flesh it and send it out (most expensive). If you have the skinning skills to correctly do eyes, mouth, nose, tail, toenails, ears, turn ears and lips, then you can thaw and skin it open or cased and send it to a tannery yourself (much less expensive). But contact the tannery first to see in what condition they prefer to receive it.

I use Sivko Fur in NY, because they are close enough to drive my bike to for either pick up or drop off, it's a nice ride in rural upstate NY. I have a taxidermist account with them but I am not a taxidermist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you tundragriz (and others). Appreciate the help! I was going to skin him myself, but it was warm and I was concerned it might spoil. I've caped quite a few buck heads but never did a coyote. Like I said, the hide is not perfect, but it's my first coyote and now that I know it can be tanned I'll contact a taxi and give him a permanent home in my den!

P.S. I envy you, I'd love to cruise rural upstate NY on my bike :smile2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts