The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Fancy rig

I'm still on the learning curve for brisket---about three years on the learning curve

My first problem was finding a real brisket. I now get mine at what has become my butcher shop---the Country Store in Pennsdale (Lycoming County). A full brisket simply isn't available at any source dealing with cut and boxed meats--which includes all grocery store chains that I am aware of.

My dry rub is a combination of Cabelas Mountain Man Bourbon rub and my own---which I have no reason not to share

It is based on Emeril Lagasse's "Essence"--my modified mix follows:

2 1/2 tablespoons(smoked)paprika
2 tablespoons (table)salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
(1 tablespoon dry mustard)
(1 tablespoon dry horseradish powder)

Here is a picture of my smoker which I hold at 225-250 for 12-14 hours for a full brisket.

Added in edit: I use a mixture of woods, including oak (an unsung hero), hickory, apple and cherry---never---no never use mesquite--it burns too hot and imparts a bitter taste. Good for grilling but not smoking.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct on the full brisket. I buy them by the case from a USDA supplier. 6 briskets to a case 11 to 16 lbs each. Your smoker is awesome. I was looking for one like that and then my wife and kids got me this one for father day. BassPro has the one you have in a few different styles but the price starts at 1500.00.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got mine from BassPro in Harrisburg.

Mine was made by Brinkman, the one they have now (Horizon) seems identical except for opposite hand. I paid about $1250 with the tax.

My biggest problem is getting it back in the garage--it weighs 500 pounds!

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
those are some really sweet smokers, i haven't tried a brisket yet

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
good rub recipe. I also am a big fan of http://www.texasbbqrub.com 's rub. great on brisket and pork and chicken and fish and shoes and basketballs and and and and...I once brought some back to the bedroom and my wife chased me out with a broom...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Last Saturday with the weather forecast in the bucket--and my buddy Joe coming down from NY without a license I bagged the bow hunting for the day and did a brisket, full ham and a full slab of bacon.

Brisket has been a bit of a disappointment to me--just never seemed to get it just right--until Saturday

I increased the indicated temperature from 225-250 to 275-300. My probe is high in the chamber and I think I wasn't getting a high enough temperature at the grate,

The results were fantastic if I do say so myself!

I rolled the stack out of the garage door at 6 AM and lite her off. By 7:30 I was up to temp and everything was loaded.

I took the brisket off at an internal temp of 170 about 5:30 and let it rest for about an hour.

Sitting in the garage watching the smoker seemed a better option than sitting in the rain---but I have to admit---it was dry inside my blind

1 - 10 of 10 Posts