The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seeing many hickory nuts this year? Seems like it is a poor year in Westmoreland county. I was hoping to gather a gallon or two this year.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am seeing some here in Centre county. Last year was an excellent heavy year but this year seems moderate.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
There seemed to be some in the one place I hunt in Westmoreland county that has hickories in any amount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay CROW. They are in my mind the best tasting nut that is in PA. They can be a tough to remove from the shells but are worth it. I found that trees a few miles away from where I searched had a lot of nuts. Sadly the squirrels left the hulls.

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
CROW MASTER said:
what do you do with them?
They are good for baking. My cousin makes the best hickory nut bread, I can taste it while I'm typing, the bread is out of this world. Only thing is they're hard to get out of the hull, it takes a lot of patience and time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
my trees where loaded with shagbark hickory nuts. picked 4- five gallon buckets full and could pick many more. I think they are better eating than walnuts and pecans. some good youtube videos on how to shell them. too bad you weren't closer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I know of several trees right along the main roads here is Susquehanna County that the ground is literally white with hickory nuts. I picked quite a few up from these trees last year. I dried them for about a month or so and then used a nut cracker and they opened up quite well. The nut meat fell right out of them

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just tried some for the first time this year when I found bunches of them in Nockamixon State Park. They were all over the place. I thought they were actually a little sweeter than walnuts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
My Grandmother used to make "shellbark" cake with them. It was very tasty.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Lots here, i picked a bunch off a shellbark hickory, most of them were good. Though it seemed like better than 50% of the shagbark nuts i picked failed the float test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts