The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set aside the day to hike the trail in the hickory creek wilderness area today. It is a nice area but the trail was a little stressful to hike. Not real well marked and it is maintained as a wilderness trail, which means it is not maintained. I was wondering if I was still on the trail a few times. Anyhoo, I hauled my camera around for 12 or 14 miles or whatever so here are a few pics.

The dog was a trooper, and he is dead to the world now.

There was lots of good scenery but I was just trying to make time for most of the hike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
one of the most beautiful places in pa.
Thanks for the pics.
used to work there and was amazed by the diversity of flora & fauna.
art

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hickory creek is in the ANF, I guess the closest town is Warren PA, in Warren county. Most of my "hiking" is done on SGL in NW PA. The wilderness area was a little challenging for me. It did not help that I lost my map and my GPS locked up. All in all a great day though I confess I was a little stressed the last couple miles. The pics are of Jacks run, I saw an owl but he was not in the mood for photos..

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Nice photos. Did you see any brook trout scooting around in the stream?

12 miles is a lot of hiking. When I was young I sometimes hiked that much. In recent years a limit it to about 6 to 8 miles. Last year I got lost though and hiked about 11 miles. I'm 54 years old. What don't kill you makes you stronger!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I did not see any brookies in the two streams I crossed. The established trail crosses Jacks run and Coon run I think. They are tributaries of East hickory and Middle hickory. Pretty sure the branches of Hickory creek have trout, though I never fished them myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts