The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow hunters, i am a 31 year old from the poconos area, a avid fisherman who wanted to expand his knowledge and love for the outdoors and have recently passed my hunters exam and will be getting my hunting license along with my rifle in short while. Im glad to have found this forum for hunters in pennsylvania and am looking forward to making new friends and learning all about the sport and the outdoors.
I would love to get me some game this season, and am really excited. Ive already bought all my camo clothing witch was pretty pricy but very warm and comfortable. I feel like im a living, walking, breathing tree wearing it all. Im going to be ordering a few more supplys soon, But have been debating on what caliber and gun i want to choose. I wasnt able to create a thread elsewhere. So i may aswell ask for advice. Im looking to spend around 1000-1500 for a bolt action rifle and a scope, and am looking for one that will be good for medium to large game with medium to long range firing distance. I would prefer something that has a camo paintjob but am not set on anything. I have been looking at some .308 or .270 but am really not to sure what would be best for my needs and my price range. I am hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.
Im looking forward to posting in other sections of the forum and trying to find some hunters in my area and to learn.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Welcome to HPA!!! You will be able to buy a really nice rifle and scope for that price. I'm a fan of synthetic stocks and I use Leupold scopes. Everybody has different preferences. I was happy with the .270 I had when I was younger and a few of my hunting buddies still use them. I have never owned a .308 so I can't help you there. I hope you get some feedback that helps.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Welcome aboard,..... A Winchester mdl.70 in 30.06 or 270 would be make for a good all around big game rifle and mounted with a good quality scope as well....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello and welcome to the club. Good luck on your new adventure!
Thank you

welcome to HPA and you came to the right spot for your knowledge. enjoy and good luck:wave:
Thank you

Welcome to the site!
Thank you

Welcome to HPA!!! You will be able to buy a really nice rifle and scope for that price. I'm a fan of synthetic stocks and I use Leupold scopes. Everybody has different preferences. I was happy with the .270 I had when I was younger and a few of my hunting buddies still use them. I have never owned a .308 so I can't help you there. I hope you get some feedback that helps.
Thank you. I was looking at some scopes from cabelas from where i ordered my rifle and did notice the leupold scope was on sale.
Im thinking of waiting till my rifle is available for pickup before i choose one just so i can look down the scope and see how i like it to match the rifle in person.
I was amazed at how much scopes go for, i obviously cant get the high end scope but was looking at a vortex viper 30mm
I will create a thread later on in the day when i get a chance to with some questions i have.

Welcome aboard,..... A Winchester mdl.70 in 30.06 or 270 would be make for a good all around big game rifle and mounted with a good quality scope as well....
Thank you. I decided on a 30.06 after doing a bit of research it seems it would be a lot nicer to have that versatility in ammo size and access.

Hello. I just joined the forum. I will be glad to meet you.
Thank you. Fantastic ill send you a private message and see what area you are in and maybe we can bounce some information off each other and would be great to find someone else to go on a hunt with a get some actual hands on experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
30-06 is always a solid choice. One other thing to consider would be how familiar you are with shooting and how often you plan on shooting the gun. Not that a 30-06 has terrible recoil but if you spend the day on a bench in the summer in tee shirt you are going to know it.

A 308 will shoot all of the same bullets a 30-06 will just a bit slower but also with less recoil, especially if the rifle is very light.

Either way good luck hunting! Where are you at in the poconos?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to HuntingPa.com :wave:
Thank you

30-06 is always a solid choice. One other thing to consider would be how familiar you are with shooting and how often you plan on shooting the gun. Not that a 30-06 has terrible recoil but if you spend the day on a bench in the summer in tee shirt you are going to know it.

A 308 will shoot all of the same bullets a 30-06 will just a bit slower but also with less recoil, especially if the rifle is very light.

Either way good luck hunting! Where are you at in the poconos?
Thank you.
Ive shot guns before, Been shooting about once or twice a year on the holidays with family for the last few years. The 30.06 would be the biggest caliber rifle ill be shooting, but ive felt the kick from a slug to buckshot of a shotgun and shot off a AR to a pistol . The plan in to get it back home and start sighting the gun to my ammo and scope and maybe be able to get a deer this season still. That would be nice.
I appreciate the insight, sounds like ill be happy with the .30-06.
I checked the game maps and looks like im close to SGL127, Right by the army depot.
Hows the game been out there anyone been out there ever?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts