The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I read, they are a great sight. For those of you who have it, what do you think?

I like the idea of a single pin and can see it being great for target shooting and even turkey hunting from a blind, but what happens when you're hunting deer and a rut-crazed buck shows up trotting diagonally away from you. Even if you know the range, lets say you're set at 20yds, what happens when he stops at 32? Are you supposed to just hit the pause button and adjust your dial?

·
Registered
850 Posts
learn where your bow hits at 32,if you have time move the sight it only takes a second.i have been using the hha 5000 for a long timeand would not go back to a multi pin.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
with the speed and accuracy of today's bows the amount of drop is minimal. Check your ranges when you get to your hunting spot. set your pin accordingly. pick a range somewhere in between. then you compensate a bit for ranges closer or farther as is needed.

·
Super Moderator
13,848 Posts
Really like the single pin...does cover as much of the animal. Adjust easy and quickly...

·
Registered
376 Posts
love this sight, just set it at 20 yards and then practice where to hold the pin for various yardages. I have killed a ton of deer with the bow and only a handful have been over twenty yards.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As others have said, for hunting situations sight in at 20 or 25 yards and learn where your bow shoots for other distances then hold high or low. Of course, if you have all the time in the world you could adjust for the distance. I have always advocated the use of a single pin for hunting.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I shoot a single pin and I usually sight at 20-30-40. What i do is shoot my 20 at 30-35 yards and calculate the drop (usually about 4 inches)then just compensate on the animal. you can practice it on the range too. I've been shooting single pin sights since the early 90's, and have yet to run into a problem while out in the woods.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I set mine at 25 yards & you will be in the vitals from 0-30 or alittle more depending on your bow. Anything longer than that if a shot does present itself I'll have time to change it or it wasn't a high percentance shot anyway & he'll get a pass.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do the same as others mentioned leave it on 25 my arrow drops 2inches at 30 anything past that i've had time to adjust it, it takes just as much time to adjust as drawing your bow

·
Registered
21,503 Posts
I have one.It's a nice sight but too slow for hunting in my opinion.Also,when I used to shoot 3D,there were times when I forgot to move it back and ended up blowing otherwise easy shots.They are nice sights but for me they're just too much too think about.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just got one of these and tried it. I liked it. The only thing i didnt like was how heavy it was. I just sold it and am going back to a sword multi pin.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive strictly shot a single pin sight for years now without any real difficulty but recently i switched to a multi pin sight. Now im shooting the Apex bone collector and im glad i made the switch. I prerange most areas i hunt and i dont see the need to take the time, even if its just for a second, to have to move my sight dial before drawing back on a deer. Now ive never had a problem with a single pin sight in the past, ive been lucky, but the more i think about it the more i dont want any problems to happen, so thats why i switched. Ive also forgot to move the pin back when shooting different ranges and have lost some arrows because of it. With a fixed pin sight i can spend my time drawing back on the deer instead of having to move the sight first and then drawing back, yes it does take a couple seconds longer to draw when you have to move your sight and you do have to take your eyes off the deer in the process. The couple seconds that i had to take my eyes off the deer to adjust that sight have always worried me. My bow shoots fast enough that im able to compensate fairly accurately between distances when i have my pins set at 10 yards apart. Things happen so fast in the woods sometimes that its nice to know that you can just draw and shoot without having to guess things. Someone mentioned earlier that you should leave it set at 20 or 25 and know where it hits at other various distances so you dont have to adjust. Im sorry, but to me, that is a very irresponsible way to hunt and im just gonna leave it at that. Too many deer get wounded every year by people guessing yardages and taking pop shots. Some people are skillful enough to get away with it, but alot of others are not. Do yourself a favor, take the guess work out of the archery equation, get a fixed pin sight and you'll do alot better in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts