The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go on vacation for 2 weeks and I get back to PA trout fishing and this is what I find:

Where's the Water? by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Nearly the same spot last year on July 9th:

Whisper of a Stream by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Well I knew finding water would be tough after being away and seeing the state of my flower beds when I got home, so I gassed up the CRV last night, tied some foam beetles, and sketched some maps from Google and decided to intersect some blue lines in Bald Eagle State Forest today.

First blue line was a no go:

Low Flowing Trout Stream by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I did however find these 2 gentleman together on state land:

buck 1 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

buck 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Hit some of this:

Forest Road 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Found more of this:

What Water? by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Stopped at the next blue line, and dropped a beetle in the deeper water near the bridge and caught a giant:

Brookie 5 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

More of this:

Forest Road by Jason Weller, on Flickr

and this:

Crick Dam by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Decided to take pictures of the cabins since there wasn't even enough water to photograph:

Cabin 3 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Cabin 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Cabin 1 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

More of this...

Forest Road 3 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

and of course more of this:

Low Flow by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Finally I found a blue line with a little, very little flow and I landed about 25 of these:

Brookie 1 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Brookie 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Brookie 3 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

But it was tough going...fish were spooking from miles away, I got closer to a few deer then some of these trout. Finally I decided to do some warm water fishing close to home since storms were coming and I really wanted to try for a carp on the fly rod, so I put the 3wt away and got out the 8wt.

Caught about 50 of these:

Smallmouth by Jason Weller, on Flickr

and finally...I'll need to lay a tape by my rod tomorrow to get an idea of length.

Just a Big Minnow by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I had a great day exploring and seeing new places to try next year...when there is water.

·
20,190 Posts
Great post. I was very entertained. That's the worst water conditions I've see this year. Our water are low and in most cases not really worth fishing but they are nothing compared to that. That's really really bad.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nomad_archer said:
Wow great post. Your pictures are wonderful. I though my water conditions where bad but I guess it could be worse. What did you catch the bass on?
Got all the bass on Bett's Poppers. I like fishing top water in the creeks with the fly rod.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was pretty bummed, before vacation I got a few neutral density filters for my camera and I really wanted to try them out on some of our mountain streams...but no go. Here are two pictures I took with them in Tennessee:

Small Fall by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Smoky Mountain Stream by Jason Weller, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
closest I've ever been to being spooled was by a 33 inch carp on the fly rod. had about 6 winds of backing left to my name when I was able to stop it. nice fish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.