The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
it is totally legal, some may or may not think it should be, but it is....

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
It's legal, but usually not the smartest thing to do.
Every time you call a gobbler in before the season, one of two things happen. Either you spook him, (which makes him reluctant to respond to calls), or he comes in, sees no hens, then wanders off, (which ALSO makes him reluctant to respond to calls). Have that happen to him a couple times before the season starts, then try and call him in during the season.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
It's not that big of a deal. If you hunt public land, by the second or third week of the season, think how many calls those birds have heard, and how many times they get spooked. And they're still killable.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Yeah, I see your point, but why make it harder?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I've noticed that birds that see alot of these roadside preseason callers seem to respond better later in the season if you hoof it back into the woods and call. It's crazy around hear. You can follow the tracks on the dirt roads and see where everybody stops and calls.

·
6,466 Posts
Beartrppr said:
I've noticed that birds that see alot of these roadside preseason callers seem to respond better later in the season if you hoof it back into the woods and call. It's crazy around hear. You can follow the tracks on the dirt roads and see where everybody stops and calls.
how do you know from tracks they are calling. i stop all the time to listen and never call. you know what they say when you assume something.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I've seen them. It's obvious. Don't tell me at mid morning guys are just roaming around "listening". You, my friend, are obviously assuming I don't know what I'm talking about and you know what they say when you assume something. Your words, not mine.

·
Administrator
39,067 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
It's legal, but usually not the smartest thing to do.
Every time you call a gobbler in before the season, one of two things happen. Either you spook him, (which makes him reluctant to respond to calls), or he comes in, sees no hens, then wanders off, (which ALSO makes him reluctant to respond to calls). Have that happen to him a couple times before the season starts, then try and call him in during the season.
I did, and killed him the first day!!!

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
by the time the pre season road singers and the youth season are done with, your better off with a goose call for the opener.

·
6,466 Posts
Beartrppr said:
I've seen them. It's obvious. Don't tell me at mid morning guys are just roaming around "listening". You, my friend, are obviously assuming I don't know what I'm talking about and you know what they say when you assume something. Your words, not mine.
all i was stating is all tracks are not calling dont get riled up over a statement.

·
Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
I would just says calling birds in before the season is not putting the odds in one's favor to bag that gobbler during the season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts