The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been seriously pursuing a mt lion and elk hunt. I am finding a semi-common theme and personally I don't like it. Seems many outfitters(not all) no longer list pricing on their pages, they want you to "contact us" to get pricing.
My question is, WHY?! Does the price change for everyone? Maybe i'm not trusting enough but the lack of pricing turns me right off of an outfitter, like they are hiding something.
Can anyone give me thoughts on this, I'd hate to pass over a good hunt due to my own personal quirks, but I also don't need constant correspondence from 20 outfitters who are highly over priced and never would have heard from me if their prices were listed.
Just seeing if i'm alone on this

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Not in the business, but outfitters are high in salary costs, as it involves intense personal activity. A good experienced outfitter probably can't compete based solely on a price or a low price. A labor intensive business has its price to pay. One of them is not to survive just on cost.

Personally, "all the tea in China", couldn't get me into that business.

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I go to an outfitters website and don't see a price list I move on to the next outfitter , I'm not gonna waste my time calling them just so they could tell me what they could have had on there website.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
winchester-only said:
When I go to an outfitters website and don't see a price list I move on to the next outfitter , I'm not gonna waste my time calling them just so they could tell me what they could have had on there website.
That is pretty much the approach I take as well. I did go so far as to call an outfitter the other day to tell him he had a broken link on his page and could be losing a lot of business and that I could send him the proper coding to fix it within seconds. His response was "oh really, ok, thanks bye" and hung up! Crossed him off my list! Nothing like trying to give free tech support and get good info only to be blown off. Noticed 4 days later, link still broken....

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I work in the car business and the same thing applies. We tried for a while to take prices off the internet in hope's of generating more phone calls to the dealership, but in fact it worked exactly opposite.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
In most cases, the prices aren't listed, because they are priced on the higher end, and figure most guys would skip past them anyway if it was posted. If they have a good reputation or you were referred to them by another client, they figure they have the chance of "selling" you on their business over the phone. Lots of guides don't update their websites regularly, which is another reason they won't post prices.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
5chunter said:
I work in the car business and the same thing applies. We tried for a while to take prices off the internet in hope's of generating more phone calls to the dealership, but in fact it worked exactly opposite.
When I bought my last truck, I searched for several days online. If no price was listed, I moved to the next dealership. Listing products and services with no pricing is a waste of bandwidth. Imho.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am trying to plan my first trip out west for a Antelope and Mule deer hunt and have found this very often. I actually gave up looking for a bit. It was just not fun. I plan on setting my sights on some options at the sportmans show this weekend and getting it book in the next few months.

The last thing I want to do is spend my hard earned cash on a trip where I feel like I have to work to have the outfitter do their job.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
winchester-only said:
I totally agree^^^^

·
4,225 Posts
Run2Catch said:
5chunter said:
When I bought my last truck, I searched for several days online. If no price was listed, I moved to the next dealership. Listing products and services with no pricing is a waste of bandwidth. Imho.

Whether it is vehicles or hunts it drives me nuts when there is no price listed. One great point to the internet is to have INFORMATION AT YOUR FINGERTIPS. When company's don't give you all the information you are looking for you just wasted your time.

If you are a professional services business (i.e. Consultant or Doctor) or something like that it is one thing but when you are offering a clearly defined service or product then give me all the information I seek. For crying out loud if I already know I am going to buy an F150 why the heck else would I go to your website other than for prices. Same thing with a hunt.

Phew, this actually got me fired up. I just can't stand it. I'm not calling you or sending you an email request just so you can "sell" me on you and your product. If the price is right then I will call or stop by to get the whole scoop.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Not arguing with anyone here, and in fact I like it when prices are posted as well, makes it a lot easier to rule in/out various outfitters. But for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Very few outfitters are into computer tech and are not directly active in site maintenance. The reason they don't post prices is so that they don't have to pay someone to update prices as they change year to year. That's also the reason many don't post current pictures from each season as well.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought for sure I'd get flamed for this question. Glad to see I wasn't as off the reservation as I thought maybe I was! Thanks guys.
So with all this said, anyone got a good but affordable(5k-ish) mt lion or elk guide that has prices on their site?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I normally move on if the outfitter fails to include a price list for their hunts. The only exception is if they are recommended to me by a reliable source.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
loridr said:
Not arguing with anyone here, and in fact I like it when prices are posted as well, makes it a lot easier to rule in/out various outfitters. But for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Very few outfitters are into computer tech and are not directly active in site maintenance. The reason they don't post prices is so that they don't have to pay someone to update prices as they change year to year. That's also the reason many don't post current pictures from each season as well.
This is exactly right. And for anyone on here who passes an outfitter just because they don't post a price, you are only shortchanging yourself. If you are not willing to investigate and speak to outfitters about what they are truly offering, then you are doing yourself and your trip a disservice. Rule them out AFTER you speak to them, not by having not even given them a chance.

As someone who has gone on over 25 guided hunts, I will say this. Outiftted hunting trips are one of the biggest things in life where you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
So with all this said, anyone got a good but affordable(5k-ish) mt lion or elk guide that has prices on their site?
HPA sponsor PHA has quite a few listed in that price range for elk and lions. Some less than that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not posting prices is a pet peeve of mine also. It is one of the most important pieces of information so why not be upfront about it?

To answer your question, I can think of several reasons why outfitters don't post prices.

1) They feel if you take the trouble to email and ask for pricing or better yet to call, then you are most likely serious.

2) Many times websites are not regularly updated so pricing is left off. Also many websites are built so that the outfitter has to contact the web design company/person to make changes and there is a fee everytime a change is made even if it's a quick change like a price increase.

3) They don't want the competition or the landowners they lease from to know what they are charging.

There are some very good outfitters that don't post their prices and some very bad outfitters that don't post prices. I wouldn't let the lack of pricing rule out an outfitter but I do understand the mindset of just moving on without ever making contact because you feel that pricing should be on the website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts