The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually had this 9pt buck on trail cam back in October. Never any pattern, he'd showed up once or twice more before Thanksgiving.

I hunted the morning up by SGL 39 hoping to fill my buck tag. I saw five doe, and a lot of fog. I ran home, had lunch, a little nap, and went out for the afternoon hunt. Circumstances put me at the blind I'd hunted the night before. I honestly didn't expect to see any buck. A doe, but not a shooter. Boy, was I wrong. I'm trying to blend into the blind as a bunch of nosey doe kept looking my way. Nothing I wanted to shoot, but man they wouldn't leave me alone. I finally closed the windows so they would settle down. A little after 4:30 I noticed a big bodied deer in the food plot. As I leaned to the side for a better look, I saw the rack. The buck was kind of quartering away. When I shot, the buck whirled and took off. I couldn't get a follow-up shot. I didn't see any blood as the buck showed me his opposite side as he ran. I got out of the blind, and went to where I thought the buck was standing. No blood. I was really dejected. How did I miss? I walked over to where the buck ran into the woods. I happened to look down, and found a spot of blood about 30 yards from where I shot. It was getting dark, and the fog was starting to come in. I decided to back out, and recruit a little help. My neighbor and his son came up to search. We went back to the food plot. They picked up the trail, and the search was over in just a couple minutes. The buck bedded and died about 60 yards from the first spot of blood. I must have clipped the bottom of the lungs, as the cavity was full of blood. Funny I didn't have blood first thing, cause it looked like a good shot. It was lethal, just not a lot of blood.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, I'm two for two this year. A small buck in WV, and now one in PA. I mentioned to the wife I should take a few days, and go back to Ohio. You know, to see if I can complete the trifecta. She gave me that look, and said sure. I think she wants me to go. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts