The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Reed” and everyone involved in the ESOS situation are in a “Catch-22”. Due to the recent mass shootings across the nation, Reed has probably taken a “sympathetic” stance to those affected by gun violence. Because “Reed” is an organizer of more things than “Sportsmen” shows. They’ve probably decided to “play it safe” with their decisions to appeal to a wider audience, despite the views of people attending “sport shows”.

Chris Brackett said (On his FB wall) that the ESOS accounts for approx. 1/3 of his yearly income. Being that he is in a profession that is encompassed by “public image” and celebs “live and die” based on what they do publicly, he followed suit with the rest of the celebs and backed out to appeal to the “ESOS Boycott” crew. Regardless of their actual personal stance on the “Reed” decision, these people understand that by showing up is “career suicide” so they’ll fall into line and do what everyone who supports them wants them to do, despite the fact that this show has a REAL and SIGNIFICANT impact on their PERSONAL lives. It helps put food on their tables.

Regardless if you decide to attend this show or not, understand that these shows and events are financially important to the venders who “need” these events to make money.Its definitely a difficult decision for venders and celebs alike because it has career and personal implications all wrapped up into one. Cabelas is a multibillion dollar company, who cares if they back out as a sponser, its not going to effect them in the least. Small vendors are going to take a more devestating hit and even though they know they NEED to be at this show to make money, they're pulling out for fear of being ridiculed and protested by their fellow sportsmen. Thats not being fair to them and they're not being fair to themselves.

The whole thing is "scare tactics". Obama announced the reinstatement of an "assult weapons ban" and everyone rushes out with checkbooks and credit cards. We've already "survived" a weapons ban, its nothing new to us. The "Gun Show loophole" and "Universal Background Checks" need to be closed. However, if you give them an 1" to make the common sense "gun reform" that is background checks and gun show loopholes, they're going to take a mile and pass other stupid reform with it. Its the nature of the beast. We understand it takes 1-2 seconds to swap out a magizine, so it doesnt matter if it has a 30 round clip or a 10 round clip..its just scare tactics to get people out and spend thier money.

You know, everyone goes to these shows to see "celebs" and look up to these people. All they are is a device used to push products and make a dollar for their sponsers and to keep revenue coming through the doors. Why do you think a celeb will be here a few days then be replaced by a new one..to make sure the celebs people want to see will be there and to keep selling tickets to bring people through the doors..just like hitting the "refresh" button on your computer, keep it new and updated and the people will keep coming back. At the core of what they do, its hunting. Plain and simple hunting. No celebrity, no product is going to make you the "Great White Hunter", you have to want to do it and have the drive to do it. Its "cool" to see these people and talk to them because you see them on television but behind the sponsers and cameraman and all the ads, they're doing plain old, simple hunting like the rest of us.

Those people are there because they HAVE to be there. They love traveling the world and hunting like we all love or would love to do. But they know if they dont show up at all the shows across America and product push, their sponserships are going down the drain and along with it goes their careers. Anyone with a Facebook account can see it. These guys go to the shows just to push products and gain sponsership networks..its a BUSINESS and you all buy into it. I got me a new FNE Diamond bow, or "Tiffany" grunt call, or "Bone Collector" sight or "Dream Season" boots...come on people, really?

·
Registered
434 Posts
How fair is it to the people who sell modern sporting rifles and equipment? Seems like they are taking a hit and have no choice in the matter! I guess some people think if it doesn't affect thier product it doesn't matter. What if they said no bows, or shotguns etc. Would that matter more?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The people who use, and I hate to use the term "assult rifles" are a drop in the bucket compared to those who use bows and shotguns. We as sportsmen know and understand that the only difference between a Semi-auto 223 from Remington or Ruger or whoever and a Bushmaster semi-automatic 223 is the appearance. They're both semi-automatic 223s, one looks like a military rifle, the other a regular hunting rifle..thats the reality of it. People are to dumb to "get it".

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Live2Bowhunt said:
The people who use, and I hate to use the term "assult rifles" are a drop in the bucket compared to those who use bows and shotguns.
False...Many states allow their use during hunting seasons especially in the south. Also The vast majority of law enforcement carry these on an everyday basis.
To disallow one type is wrong and is being rectified by the people.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Live

ask the guys in NY who have to get rid of any magazines over 10 rounds or face being a felon or can only load 7 rounds in the magazines they are ALLOWED to keep if they feel they "survied" their AW ban. They get to register there "AW's" with the state as well. I wonder how long these guns will "survive" until NY AW Ban 2 gets rammed thru in the middle of the night in Albany.

This fitlh is paying for keeps, we need to as well.

Gino

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know when I lived in GA I used my Ar religiously for hogs. Its a great hunting rifle. I just wish they would allow them in PA.

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
Live2Bowhunt said:
The people who use, and I hate to use the term "assult rifles" are a drop in the bucket compared to those who use bows and shotguns. We as sportsmen know and understand that the only difference between a Semi-auto 223 from Remington or Ruger or whoever and a Bushmaster semi-automatic 223 is the appearance. They're both semi-automatic 223s, one looks like a military rifle, the other a regular hunting rifle..thats the reality of it. People are to dumb to "get it".
The 2nd Amendment is not about a particular rifle or hunting.... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

To give in some now and more later????...just where is that headed????

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Not so. Their "gunshow loophole" closing is critical to registration and confiscation - period. The libs version of a "gunshow loophole" is that private individuals can buy//sell/trade long guns w/o paperwork, ie registration, whether at a gunshow or not. It's not a loophole, it's a legal freedom. But they like the negative word "loophole" - sells better, esp. to conservatives. If "closed", they now get paperwork, ID's, names, numbers, etc. on ALL of the legally-owned firearms. Doesn't touch "illegally" (some of which were legal just prior) bought/sold firearms. I don't see the local drug dealers going to Bass Pro for their guns. Right now, making a phone call for an illegal gun to purchase at below retail would be easy - it's just illegal. No current law is gonna stop that, if they bothered to enforce it, and no future law will either. It will still be done under the radar. Do you really think illegal guns and crime with them have stopped in Britain cuz the average "legal" guy can't own them and they have paperwork on all of the "Legally"-owned firearms??? Do you really think that the drug cartels (when Holder stops selling them US guns) can't figure out how to start a weapons manufacturing plant when they already have billions of $$ and figured out how to do worldwide distribution and production of chemical-enhanced drugs?? Really??? They are laughing at us. The only reason they buy existing weapons is cuz it's cheaper right now. Start-up costs would be a little salty, but then they could just start distributing them worldwide too -the network's already there. Guns and drugs - it's called value-added production.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
No offense Live, but I tire of hearing that we all have to somehow "cave" to the political pressure and that ARs really have no place in society anyhow. Because the government isn't targeting your pappy's Model 94 or your 760, you could care less what they do with "assault rifles".

Reed's is headquartered in England. They likely caved under immense pressure to do the PC thing and BAN anything that looks "scary" from being at the show. Well, they are learning now, that far more people are on the other side of the fence from your point of view on this subject.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
Live2Bowhunt said:
The 2nd Amendment is not about a particular rifle or hunting.... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

To give in some now and more later????...just where is that headed????
WELL SAID !!!!!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Reed's parent office is in Great Britain. The US office in Connecticut. Just clarification.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
I am against any of these new ridiculous measures to make the liberals feel like they have done something at the expense of the conservatives, but the ESOS thing is blown far out of proportion. I don't care about whether some body wants to sell black guns at a huge family outdoors exhibition. So after you guys kill and bury the ESOS, all of us will have nothing but some little schmuck shows scattered about, that couldn't draw a celebrity in toothpick carving.

The liberal anti-gunners must be laughing their butts off. Instead of boycotting some liberal bastian of gun control, we are killing our best hunting and outdoors sports industry show. Seriously STUPID guys. Sarah Brady couldn't have planned it better.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
So live should we start a bow registry ? And ban quivers that hold more than 3 arrows? I am done with caving in and tired of the term politically correct. I am glad to see the people stand up for their rights.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope, I heartily disagree. The EOSOS is a very big deal not only for vendors but to sportsmen as well. The show of unity by vendors and sportsmen alike will or already has sent a very strong message to those who would cave in for the sake of getting along. This is a war, the left has found their excuse and is waging it on all gun owners, the black guns are a place to start where they believe non thinking gun owners will concede not seeing the truth that this is the first attack, next will be some other gun or accessories as they will take our rights in increments. Not one sportsman should attend the show, the only people there should be the cookware sales people and other non gun related items. We should all support those who paid then cancelled, especially the little guys.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Live2bowhunt hope you are good with your bow because if gun owners don't stick together and and instead gradually allow our RIGHTS to be slowly eroded, thats all we may have to hunt or protect ourselves with. Remember the admitted end goal of the the gun control side is the eventual removal of ALL guns from civilian hands.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
.. Instead of boycotting some liberal bastian of gun control, ....
That's what it is Zim. A protest against liberal gun control. Solidarity is being displayed. The left can spin this all they want. However, it demonstrates the resolve of gun owners. It also sends a signal to the politians.

What's happened here, is akin to Concord Bridge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe there will be an enormous residual effect from this ESOS fiasco and it goes much beyond boycotting an outdoors show. Certainly the politicians are keeping a close eye on this. Surely it must be in their minds, that if something such as this can take off in just a matter of days, just think of what can happen when they start playing around with the 2nd.

The 1994 AWB was before everyone was connected to the Internet. While everyone was upset about the ban at that time, except for the NRA, it was difficult to “come together as one”.

Now the politicians can see what can happen in today’s fast-paced information world. No matter what their personal feelings may be regarding the 2nd amendment, undoubtedly, the main goal, and only purpose in life for any politician is to get RE-ELECTED. Hopefully this will give them all some pause and reflection when additional gun laws are presented.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Longie said:
The 1994 AWB was before everyone was connected to the Internet. While everyone was upset about the ban at that time, except for the NRA, it was difficult to “come together as one”.

Now the politicians can see what can happen in today’s fast-paced information world. No matter what their personal feelings may be regarding the 2nd amendment, undoubtedly, the main goal, and only purpose in life for any politician is to get RE-ELECTED. Hopefully this will give them all some pause and reflection when additional gun laws are presented.
Suddenly you can see why the "internet kill switch" has many concerned

·
Registered
438 Posts
Live2Bowhunt, that statement was the most logical and made the most sense of anything that I have heard over the past few weeks. I was beginning to worry that I was the only sane person left on HPA. I am really glad that I am not alone.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts