The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let see where would you find Ash Boletes? ?????????????? Yep under Ash Trees... Shroomers have to learn their trees. I often have to go back and look at a Pa tree book to get the leaf structure of certain trees in my brain. This is one of those trees.. Learn how the bark looks too..

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Every Bolete I've ever picked, had the small worm larvae in the cap. Even the young Boletes. Kind of a turn off to me.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know why they frown on eating the boletes that turn blue once picked.. Not that they are true poison.. They are Hallucinogenic! I went to a foray recently with my club..A 70 year old women ate some of the boletes that stain bluish on stem and under the cap.. She was on a trip that they had to put her in the hospital for 4 days.. After she got out she remarked: "I WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN!" Some of the blue staining ones are edible but some will send you on a trip.. By the way never eat any boletes that are red under the cap... They be the poison ones...There is one that called Boletus satanas and that is poison..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts