The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If the state game lands is nice and hold a variety of game property #2 sounds best to me if it would pass a perk test. In ground septic could probably done for under 6k and less if you do some or all of the work. If it doesn't perk I would pass on it. Land with OGM's, well and septic hold their value well. My taxes on 40 raw acres runs around 400 bucks a year; not that bad but it's still money spent.

Mine does have OGM's, water well, electric, and a septic system installed but no building. I use it for hunting only now but still find myself going to state game lands more and more to hunt.

See if it will perk in my opinion. Having a building that's acceptable to you is a big plus; building anything isn't cheap or easy this days. Lots of hoops and regulations to jump through these days. I myself at 60 now like renting and driving to where I want to hunt or fish for the day. Renting a hotel room is my easier that maintaining land, equipment and buildings; it's just easier. I know it's not like having your own camp but it gets it done.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
mossie said:
If the state game lands is nice and hold a variety of game property #2 sounds best to me if it would pass a perk test.
Property #2 does not border the game lands per the original posters description. It is a 25 minute drive to suitable hunting.

Neither property comes with OGM rights per an earlier response.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
These two features don't exist together in the Northern Tier- REASONABLE COST AND LAND THAT INCLUDES OMG'S. It is out of this world. I was originally looking more toward McKean County. Most OMG's over there are gone long ago. Tioga County is nuts right now. Land is running anywhere from $3000-$7500/acre.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a place in Gaines, Tioga county, and when i bought, it was unknown OGM's as the deed search didnt go back far enough. that said, I dont own em...but no dealbreaker. I have 3 acres that adjoins 1,000's of state. I preferred to let the state pay taxes. to me 3 or 30 acres isnt enough to really "play" on hunting wise...so I opted for #1. Hunting right out the back door or within a minute or 3 in any direction is a most enjoyable experience with many options. To own 27 would be cool, but like suggested...without ogm's Im not sure I'd tie that money up. Either way, its a dream COMING true...so its a win win for you.

enjoy and hope this helped.

Nut

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
mossie said:
IMO land needs to perk or have sewage available, electric as well, private access, a water well isn't that expensive if it doesn't have one, OGM's, natural gas access preferred but propane works. I wouldn't be interested in leased land but it works for some.

Acres of land is nice but it's a negative cash flow if it doesn't produce anything. If it's close by your normal residence it gets use; if not it won't long term.

I always wanted a camp as well but in my instance it would be very expensive for what use it would get. Getting land sold for what you have in it isn't usually easy either. Factor in the expense of getting it the way you want things and the time you put into it.

I don't want to change your mind but I do think you should think it over real well before you buy either.
Land doesn't need to grow crops or provide OGM to be 'productiful" if that's a word. Our camp has givin us tons of serenity, deer, turkey, grouse ,pheasant,squirrels,woodcock ,rabbits. You couldn't buy any of that and it is what keeps us going back despite it's negative cash flow and 3 1/2 hr ride to get there. Well worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Depends on the 27 acres. If the habitat and layout is correct, I may never go to the public land.

Not having to deal with other hunters during deer seasons, especially rifle, is very important to me. That will be tough to achieve on two acres next to SGL.

The cabin can always be upgraded later.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts