The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two properties- about equal cost;
Property 1- newer cabin, electric, no water or sewer or privy; on 2 acres; bordering SGL.

Property 2- Shabin, 27 acres, no electric (but available), privy for septic, no water; 25 minutes to any public hunting.

Similarities- both within 1 hour 15 minutes of home, both in reasonable price range.

Which one would you choose or lean toward and why?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Property 1
- You can always do an outhouse...
- 2 Acres is just enough to not be on top of your neighbor.
- Bordering game lands is a positive assuming it is at least a half decent game lands.
- 2 acres is not going to be a maintenance time issue. Hunt and fish more, less time cutting grass and stuff.

27 acres sounds nice but if you don't have incredible hunting on that 27 acres, now you need to drive to a spot and come back to a Shabin.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Oh, Assuming the 27 acres does not have any OGM rights.

If it does, than I go with the 27 acres, reap those rewards and buy a place in Colorado

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I think it depends on your personal preference.

Myself - I would rather have 27 acres to shape and mold as I please, even if it takes a few years to achieve good hunting. I like walking in to my hunting spot without needing a back up plan because someone beat me to it. I also like playing in the dirt, planting trees, planting food plots, hinge cutting trees, cutting firewood, etc.

Other guys like being able to walk all day and not have to worry about property lines. What do you like?

·
Super Moderator
2,470 Posts
#2 No taxes on a shabin and get into clean and green. If you need more room add another shabin and connect together Not to mention you could hunt your own land

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HomeintheWoods said:
If you live in Mansfield you are already very close to ample public hunting lands.
#2, but I'm a landowner so I already made that type of choice.
Yes, it's true, and within 10 minute drive, and have hunted them for 34 years, but there is something about having a "camp",... where you walk out your backdoor, right into the woods, away from home, away from the neighbors. I belonged to a large (22 member) camp years ago, but now I want my own. My wife is ready, in fact, she wants one ample enough to have Thanksgiving, maybe even Christmas, at camp. With that in mind, we are looking primarily in Potter County.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If they are south of 80 either one would be great but if they are north of 80 neither one you have to go where the game is

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Here is what I have learned. I get bored with the land part as it seems like you are always sitting in the same same stand. With SGL as your neighbor your stand options and hunting adventures are endless.

·
Super Moderator
2,470 Posts
OAWC said:
dc 21 said:
#2 No taxes on a shabin

No taxes? Please explain. Thanks.
Yes. Better be careful on this one. In my township, anything over 100 sq ft is taxed even if the shed is portable.
My bad. What I should of said its not a permanent structure. Yes you will be taxed on a shed.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
IMO land needs to perk or have sewage available, electric as well, private access, a water well isn't that expensive if it doesn't have one, OGM's, natural gas access preferred but propane works. I wouldn't be interested in leased land but it works for some.

Acres of land is nice but it's a negative cash flow if it doesn't produce anything. If it's close by your normal residence it gets use; if not it won't long term.

I always wanted a camp as well but in my instance it would be very expensive for what use it would get. Getting land sold for what you have in it isn't usually easy either. Factor in the expense of getting it the way you want things and the time you put into it.

I don't want to change your mind but I do think you should think it over real well before you buy either.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input. Mossie- been thinking it over for 15 years. Had the money many times before, but things like family and colleges came first. I'm getting ready to retire in June, so now is the time if I'm ever going to do it. Not only is it my long term dream, but if I do it right, financially, it's something my kids and their kids will enjoy long after I'm dust in the wind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts