The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 sons have Flinters. The older boy had to buy one a few years back. I had none to give him due to him being left handed!The younger boy got mine this fall. I had a Lyman Great Plains Hunter but sold it. It was way too long for me for hunting in our brush country!
I am going to just take a Cross Bow and set while they wonder around in the woods?
I'd bet i can shoot the cross bow more accurate than they can the flintlocks!
What do you think ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree 100% that crossbows are more accurate and dependable and you get as much as advangtage over a flint lock. Only disadvantage id see is that they are heavy and cumbersome to carry around.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Get a new Raven

I'd bet i can shoot the cross bow more accurate than they can the flintlocks!
What do you think ?

Willy, you sure could. With a scope and no rain/snow problems why carry a flinter. Look at the new Raven cross-guns, 3" groups out to 100yds.

Low impact..............LOL.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the cross bow i will use[have to borrow it from the son] is heavy!
I will just be setting though.
Also i would like to get a doe tag filled so that means going to 4-D.
All the bucks he has seen and the fields o doe are in 2-E !

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I agree 100% that crossbows are more accurate and dependable and you get as much as advangtage over a flint lock. Only disadvantage id see is that they are heavy and cumbersome to carry around.
Advantage at what yardage 25, 30, 40? How about you start at 50 yards and move out and lets see how that "advantage" holds up.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
FIRST---

STOP with the crossgun term use. It's been talked about on here and it's been warned repeatedly. Stop.

SECOND---

Watch the tone, folks. Sorry, but I'm seeing more and more of people sniping at one another across all the forums. It's not ok. Please be cordial to one another. Disagreement doesn't have to be snarky.

FINALLY---

Some folks just can't shoot a flintlock, so willyp, you might very well shoot that crossbow better than you shoot a flintlock.

But there are flintlock shooters who can SHOOT. I'd hate for someone who is considering flintlock hunting to read this and lose interest.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
at 40 yards, im a little more accurate with a scoped crossbow than an open sighted flinter. maybe that's just me.

But the crossbow requires a good angle shot and a clear shooting lane. So I think the flinter has the advantage.

But hey, a little variety is a good thing. Enjoy the time in the woods with your sons!

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
The other benefit the flintlock has is the relative lack of trajectory compared to even the fastest crossbow.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you think you can shoot a crossbow more accurately than a flintlock, this I'd like to see. I seriously doubt it.
Sorry buddy. I can honestly say I can shoot a crossbow more accurate than a flintlock. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a flintlock. Tried many times, and I am terrible with it. I won't even hunt with one I am that bad.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm betting if you gave any average Joe a scoped crossbow and a flintlock and asked them to shoot a 5 shot group at 50 yards and under, the crossbow would win 7 times out of 10. Now those who practice with flinters and take the time to be proficient with them, different story.

·
Registered
18,235 Posts
just remember that with a crossbow the kinetic energy dies off faster at longer distances than a compound bow does or even a flintlock for that matter :)

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I'm betting if you gave any average Joe a scoped crossbow and a flintlock and asked them to shoot a 5 shot group at 50 yards and under, the crossbow would win 7 times out of 10. Now those who practice with flinters and take the time to be proficient with them, different story.

Practice is key for any implement. A relatively better group at 50 yards is meaningless of the actual precision is lacking.

By that, I mean that if you give that average Joe a scoped crossbow and he delivers a 10-12" group at 50 yards, that's not hunting-level precision, even if he'd shoot in excess of 12" with the flintlock. No, I'm not exaggerating those numbers, either. Based off what i see at the range from hunters shooting modern rifles at 50 yards on a bench, I see 10-12" at 50 offhand with a crossbow as reality for a good portion of the hunting population.

The same ones who don't practice with one thing probably don't spend the time with anything, and it will show.

So yeah, I agree that in a relative sense, you're probably right, it may still not mean they're capable to hunt.

Add in the need to be cognizant of how to kill a deer with an arrow vs firearm projectile, and there are liabilities to a crossbow.

Don't get me wrong, I've recommended some folks hunt with one instead of a flintlock, but there's things to consider before going into that. They're not a magic pill.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I take the crossbow instead of the flintlock these days. Bad weather and flintlocks don't mix. And I'm not shooting the flintlock at "gun ranges" anyway since my eyes aren't as keen as they were back in the day.

With the flintlock, it's always a guess as to when it will go off, or if it will. So, following through is huge. The flash is distracting and, if there's lots of smoke, sometimes your site picture if obscured. Flintlock accuracy can be challenging if everything doesn't go right.

·
Super Moderator
13,799 Posts
I agree that out to about 50 yards the crossbow would be as accurate for most people as the flintlock is. But in my opinion there are still some distinct advantages to the flintlock for most people though. First off the energy need to kill a deer drops off on the crossbow so fast any shot beyond about 40-50 yards make it a real risk trying to shoot a deer at those of greater distances. I pretty much limit my crossbow shots to 35 yards and under. I have killed a number of deer with the flintlock between 50 and 75 yards and few at 75 to 100 yards. I wouldn't even think of taking a shot that far with the crossbow.

There is some consideration with the crossbow always firing in adverse weather conditions when it would be less likely to get the flintlock to fire though. I have found that as long as I pay attention to the details of keeping a good flint in shape, the powder dry and refreshed from time to time though I don't normally have may misfire or even hang fire incidents.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
One of the advantages with the flintlock is that shot angle does that have to be as perfect. You should shoot a deer in the shoulder with the flintlock and get the penetration to kill it. A crossbow has the same limitations as any other archery tackle.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to have a flinter again but the pension check won't left me!
As to the cross bow, i would have to use one that my son bought. I hunted with a bow a long time. I would not,even with a cross bow, take a shot over 30 yards!
With the Flintlock my eyes had a hard time seeing the sights no days.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
2014-15 Season Data

Willy, consider the PGC data before you choose the flinter. 2014-15 was the last time I've seen data for both x-bows and flinters but here's the results. X-bows accounted for 53% of 46,020 antlered deer harvested or 24,391 buck. For the flinter tally it was a dismal 1,220 buck harvested. A hunter can walk into a sports shop and have the shop tech dial in the x-bow and off too the woods. Aim.........bango. That's all that's needed for these "low impact" tools.

Good luck Willy......pssssst take the x-bow. Just sayin' FT

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Both the crossbow and the flintlock are extremely accurate weapons. As is a compound bow. The skill of the user determines field accuracy.

Unlike a flintlock, yardage compensation is a big part of archery. Yes, even with crossbows. Most of my crossbows drop 1 foot or more at 50 yards. So the user most be a good shot, have steady rest, and know the yardage on shots of greater distance. Plus near perfect shot angles are preferred with crossbows.

Flintlocks are highly accurate but require a strong skill set to shoot accurately, especially without a rest. There is no "holdover" necessary under 100 yards and shot angles can be compromised a bit.

Side to side in the woods, just "wondering around in the woods" and hunting, my opinion is there is a small edge to the flintlock for the average hunter.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I have some experience here.I used to be involved with a semi-controlled hunt where only archery and flintlocks were allowed.Every hunter had to take a proficiency test at 20 yards.THERE WERE GUYS WHO ACTUALLY FAILED THE TEST WITH A CROSSBOW BUT A MUCH,MUCH HIGHER PERCENTAGE FAILED IT WITH A FLINTLOCK,EVEN OFF OF SHOOTING STICKS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts