The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an herbicide designed specifically designed for clover food plots to get rid of broadleaves. My food plot that was planted about 2 growing seasons ago was a clover/ chicory mix. I’m concerned that this will affect the chicory. If so is the chicory that important or has it done its job now that the clover is established?

Any feedback is welcome!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ok, maybe someone else can jump in here, BUT, I have heard that chicory can take some of these herbicides and bounce back, but, not 100% on it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
A much cheaper alternative to Slay would be Butyrac for broadleaf control in clover. The Whitetail Institute stuff is crazy expensive.

Do a search for Keystone Pest Solutions. They have various herbicides for food plots.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, let me get this right. If I hit my plot with a broadleaf killer, my chicory is doomed!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I swear I saw on another forum where this was discussed and some chicory lived. I just don't know what herbicide it was.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Butarac 200 (2-4-D-B) NOT 2-4-D!!!! will smoke chicory and it is the base for the Whitetail Ins stuff. They just water the concentration down alot. It is labeled for use in alfalfa. It works well in clover but you will end up with a stand of pure clover. Some guys use a solution of 1% roundup on their clover and let me tell you you better have made sure you measured right and thouroly rinsed the tank of residuals first! I have not had luck with the roundup on clover trick myself. I don't know of any broadleaf weed control solutions for clover that will not kill chicory. Not saying there isn't any tho.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I didn't say to use 2,4,D on clover.

I will be doing the Roundup on clover either this weekend or in 2 weeks. Have done it once before with good success.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know you didn't. Just trying to emphasize the importance of the difference between the 2 for everybody else reading this. I couldn't count how many times I've went to pick Butarac up and either got a blank look from the feed store guy or a jug of 2-4-D waiting for me on the loading dock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts