The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came out my door and seen one of two hens that feed at my bird feeder now and then haven't seen either for at least two weeks just stood there so as not to scare her but noticed she was not feeding but very alert ,to my astonishment I seen movement an there was ten poults I could see they were about three inches long and they their wings were starting to show ,I tried to take a picture but to far,how old do you think they are.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
She was in the middle of a dirt road with them all bunched up right by her, then took them in to the woods. They were flying up and landing all over the place.
I originally thought the same thing, but only one momma and she was yelping pretty hard at them to follow along.

·
Super Moderator
15,231 Posts
i saw my first hen with poults here in Elk County yesterday. There were at least nine of them but might have been more. It was raining and they were on a game lands road with the hen when I came onto them with a tractor. I stopped to try to get a good count but they went off into the ferns. I didn't delay there and just got on my way so the hen could brood them as needed. They were just little guys only a few days old.

My wife, while riding her bike on the game lands, saw a grouse hen with somewhere close to a dozen grouse chicks today. The grouse chicks were about as big as sparrows but able to fly a short distance.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i saw my first hen with poults here in Elk County yesterday. There were at least nine of them but might have been more. It was raining and they were on a game lands road with the hen when I came onto them with a tractor. I stopped to try to get a good count but they went off into the ferns. I didn't delay there and just got on my way so the hen could brood them as needed. They were just little guys only a few days old.

My wife, while riding her bike on the game lands, saw a grouse hen with somewhere close to a dozen grouse chicks today. The grouse chicks were about as big as sparrows but able to fly a short distance.

Dick Bodenhorn
Nice, maybe this year will be the perfect weather to jump start the flocks we all are wishing for.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Getting airborne has to be a huge advantage for those poults at a young age. The ones I saw flushed and sat completely still in under 5 seconds as I could see a few scattered in the branches. My truck tires started rolling and they all flushed again.
This is one of those farms that is just crawling with hawks, and I noticed yesterday they cut the hay. Hope they stick to the cover.

·
Super Moderator
15,231 Posts
Was down to the pheasant hunting area of SGL # 44 this morning to check on the row crops Pheasants Forever planted and saw a hen with 12 small poults. I would guess them to be about 4-6 days old.

Saw a hen with nine in the same general area a week or so ago. So, there are at least two broods in that area.

Plant Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sky

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was down to the pheasant hunting area of SGL # 44 this morning to check on the row crops Pheasants Forever planted and saw a hen with 12 small poults. I would guess them to be about 4-6 days old.

Saw a hen with nine in the same general area a week or so ago. So, there are at least two broods in that area.

View attachment 190572

Dick Bodenhorn
Maybe this year and last year will kick start the turkey population in areas that have low numbers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe this year and last year will kick start the turkey population in areas that have low numbers.
Yeah hopefully, I heard a new theory the other day. Last year's hatch was good which means alot of year old hens that won't nest but keep the gobblers attention all day, thus making hunting tougher and more sightings of poult-less jennies. Not sure if it's fact but definitely plausible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts