The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good News. Last year I started a thread (I think I started it) asking why so many Hens were being released on Washington County Gamelands that are Rooster only. Well, I'm happy to report, we hunted Taylorstown last Friday, 11/8, and we did not jump a single Hen. But then again, we didn't jump a single Pheasant either.
I don't believe they stocked Taylorstown in a while.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
What does this have to do with hunting camp??

·
Registered
37 Posts
They stocked Taylorstown last Friday, 11/8...I hunted a few hours and as I was packing up they let'em rip-hens included...got quite a bit of it on a cell phone video!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Never understood the logic in hens on rooster only gamelands
...predators eventually get them...if they are gonna release hens then change the law. Pheasants are not reproducing anyway . Archaic law just like no sunday hunting.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
dukethebeagle said:
...predators eventually get them...if they are gonna release hens then change the law. Pheasants are not reproducing anyway . Archaic law just like no sunday hunting.
I guess the Game Commission has that small glimmer of hope that the hens will survive and reproduce. Unfortunately, they can't even get the wild pheasants they released from South Dakota to reproduce in the Somerset WPRA near Shanksville and Berlin.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
trapperrick said:
dukethebeagle said:
I guess the Game Commission has that small glimmer of hope that the hens will survive and reproduce. Unfortunately, they can't even get the wild pheasants they released from South Dakota to reproduce in the Somerset WPRA near Shanksville and Berlin.
Some survive and reproduce but not anywhere needed for sustainable wild populations.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
It's a stupid regulation and I think stocking hens in rooster-only areas as part of the pheasant allocation is actually a bit disingenuous of the PGC. Those hens are not huntable birds and should not be included in the allocation numbers in those areas. Abolish the regulation or stop the practice of releasing hens in rooster-only areas.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This past week they put out 710 roosters and 10 hens in Washington County. Next week it's just 720 roosters - no hens. Not really sure that there's anything wrong with putting a few hens out there "just in case"...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
TucksDad said:
This past week they put out 710 roosters and 10 hens in Washington County. Next week it's just 720 roosters - no hens. Not really sure that there's anything wrong with putting a few hens out there "just in case"...
You mean other than it's a complete joke? The time to release those 10 hens would be in late winter/very early spring. With the thousands of roosters released the odds that a few will make into spring are so much greater than any 1 of those 10 hens lasting until spring. So if it's truly a "just in case" proposition the best time to release the hens is spring so that "just in case" those roosters survive they can find the released hens come spring breeding and nesting time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Another advantage to putting hens in the mix would have to be that it forces hunters to positively identify their target.

When it's both sexes, people are more prone to just whack away I'd imagine...

My buddy has a lab, and when she gets wet, she shakes her head. Makes me worry who's on the other side of tht hedgerow. Those ears flopping are a pretty close match for wingbeats !

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
TucksDad said:
Unfortunately, 15 people threw every Nickle of their hunting license dollars in the trash for "just in case". Of those 15, 5 of them hunt pheasant.

Dump em and shoot em. No reason why hens can't be legal statewide with the exception of areas with documentation of viable reproduction.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lick Islander said:
TucksDad said:
Unfortunately, 15 people threw every Nickle of their hunting license dollars in the trash for "just in case". Of those 15, 5 of them hunt pheasant.

Dump em and shoot em. No reason why hens can't be legal statewide with the exception of areas with documentation of viable reproduction.
Not sure what the dollar figure is on ten hens, but I assure it's not 15 hunting licenses worth.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
all these negative waves over 10 hens ?
10 hens whos raising was paid for by gas monies?
your license money is used for other things

I hate thinking about it ,but the gas monies are not going to last forever.
after the initial easy access gas is gone and profit margins cut in. the pheasant money will dry up.
I think its about time for pheasant stamps to be implemented

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I agree about a pheasant stamp (not just for the cost of raising the stocked birds but also to aid the WPRA program) but I don't think the gas money is going to disappear in our lifetime. The Marcellus play will supply gas for quite a long time. The larger Utica play is below that too.

As far as the hens, I know it's not a large number (it is more than just 10) that get released on rooster only areas but it's still a waste and the regulation really makes no sense that I can figure.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
matt2529 said:
I like the rooster only cause my dog got shot this year cause a youth hunter saw brown a foot off the ground.
We don't allow our youth hunters to shoot birds on the ground. We explain this in detail. We also ask them if they kissed their mothers good-bye when they left the house this morning. Cause if they shoot my dog, they're never going to see her again

·
Registered
666 Posts
All the talk here of this being the best pheasant season in decades, yet some are still so upset because theres a few hens thrown in? Personally, I see nothing wrong with there being just enough of them to make people have to verify their target before they start blasting away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This years hens seem like better stock, powerful flush and they don't hold tight after flushing them several times, they run. Minnesota brought back their population with stocked birds of the right breed, i think the complaining should be about habitat that will hold birds year round.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts