The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found 15lbs of nice fresh hens tonite. Very early. Couple years ago found some first week of September and I thought that was early.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Yikes!!! Gonna get out, I been telling the Ms that it was going to be an early season this year for Hen's. Great find, and thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I seen some tonight while walking the dog. I don't eat them but was a good amount there

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
I seen some tonight while walking the dog. I don't eat them but was a good amount there
The way you like to cook and you don't use/eat Grifola frondosa mushrooms ? Chef Ramsey would be shocked.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I don't eat mushrooms. I never tried these kind before

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I don't pick wild mushroom to eat...but use them more like a spice or flavor enhancer. There is no way to describe the aroma and taste the dried Hen mushrooms add to a dish when they are dried and ground/crushed in you hand.

Anyhow, I was out this morning for a few hours and didn;t find any Hens but did see a Black Stainer polypore that's is often mistaken for a Hen, also found a few Black Trumpets, a Cauliflower mushroom, a Chicken, a few Chicken fat mushrooms, Reishi mushrooms, Angel wings, and Oysters.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

I don't take many pics anymore, but here is one from when I did, My GF took a few pics today and when you can ID all the mushrooms in this photo I'll consider posting her's if she agrees.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
My GF took a few pics today and when you can ID all the mushrooms in this photo I'll consider posting her's if she agrees.
Are mushroom pictures too secretive to post ?

Your picture doesn't offer enough clarity or close-up to positively identify. Well, actually, not many pictures can offer up positive ID. But other than the obvious Sheephead and Chicken's, it appears there may be a couple Bolete's ? My x-ray vision is currently on the blink, so I can't see through the bags, but what I can see appear to be more Chickies. Also possibly some Oyster's towards the right ? or Coral's ?

Upon further inspection, some of your Poly's appear to possibly be Elephant Ear's ? Small bag could possibly hold Oyster's also.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

Here I fixed it for a closer look.

No! But what's the purpose of taking the time to post pics for folks who wouldn't know what they were looking at anyhow. Besides I believe you know me from another site and you also know I don't tell mistruths about my finds.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
I think I've identified everything with the exception of what I believe is Bearded Tooth ? And I didn't see that slice of Grapefruit from afar in the first pic.

It's fun to share pictures for folks to learn, however, I'm picture challenged.

Maybe we've communicated on another site, but my memory stinks anymore. Would've been morels.com if so, but I don't believe I was on there last year.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
One thing sure about wild mushrooms is that folks from the opposite side of the street will call 'em by a different name. I never heard of a grapefruit mushroom but the one sliced in the photo is a Beefsteak(Fistulina hepatica), some claim them to be a good edible. The Lions mane or bearded tooth are extremely good eating. Btw my challenge to ID them was for fun..

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
I never heard of a grapefruit mushroom but the one sliced in the photo is a Beefsteak
Reckon it was my poor attempt at crackin a funny.
Not enough of it for an ID attempt and I thought it looked like a slice of grapefruit, so that's what I went with.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

Here is a picture of another beefsteak

and one before I carved it

and one before it turned blood red

and the pore surface of one, looks like pig skin

and a tree sticking one out at ya

a very small one

a very old one

and one that a small bear or possibly a mountain lion took a swipe at

and back on topic, a very, very small Hen that I watched grow for several weeks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well I went out today after seeing this thread and I found a nice sheephead. I never go out this early since they usually grow late in the area that I pick them. I'll be eating good tonight.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Ginseng pickin' season starts next Sunday and that's when I look for sheephead. Looks like I better get going if they're coming out already.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Went out for about 1 hour Sat. and found 8 of them also left 3 small ones.Now for the bad part,3 of the best producing oaks were uprooted though they still could produce some sheepheads.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Ginseng pickin' season starts next Sunday and that's when I look for sheephead.
I don't pick it, so don't know, but.... are you saying Ginseng has a set season start and finish ? If so, who sets the dates ? Feds or state agency ? I do know there is a mimimum regulation regarding number of prongs and propagation of seeds, etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts