The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring when I was scouting morel spots, I found a huge, old oak tree at the top of a creek draw. to get to it I had to cross over one creek draw, then a flat which is about 1/4 mile wide. I remember thinking to myself it had hen written all over it. I decided to check it out yesterday and walked into a hen house. Before I ever even got to cross the first draw, I was seeing small hens everywhere. There had to be around a dozen the size of softballs just starting to pop up. I found three nice ones which I picked. I carried them back to the truck because I had an arm full and then headed back in. I was right about the tree because the biggest one I found was perched underneath it with a smaller one growing near by. As you can see by the pics, I ended up with a tailgate full of the,m. I'm headed back Sunday or Monday to check on the smaller ones. I was up until about 12:30 last nigh cleaning and dehydrating mushrooms. Sorry about the pics. I can't figure out how they got loaded like they did. If you tilt your head to the left and then stand on your head, you'll be able to see them

Attachments

Reactions: BigJob

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have an oak that grows them like that every year. Somebody told me before to let them go until the got bigger, but when I cut them they were very woody and chewy.
How do you know how long you can let them go? A few of them were like apple size.
Is there a maximum number of days from sprouting to harvest?

I took one dinner plate size hen of that oak the other day and it was delicious. Fantastic really.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts