The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get back in to flinting to get more time in the field with my grandson! A few years ago i tried to change my 50 cal from flint to percussion as i couldnt get any spark from the frizzen! someone told me all the hardness was gone from the frizzen from over shooting!The lock fit the stock just fine the breech plug was a different size. now the breech plug dosent seem to match up anymore. Is it possible i twisted it? Could there possibly been a spacer in there that i didnt see when i dis assembled it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see that you live near Harrisburg., It would be a little over an hour drive to Kempton where Dixon's is.. He maybe able to match you up with the part you need, or fix it there.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
When you remove a breech plug, you must put it back in the exact same position. Most barrels have a mark on the underside that extends from the plug onto the barrel to aid in alignment. Putting the plug in a vise while twisting on the barrel works better for me than putting the barrel in the vise. Use a piece of leather to avoid clamping marks. Also, use a high temp lube on the threads.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
If you don't have a breech plug wrench,take it to Dixons.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
410-er said:
If you don't have a breech plug wrench,take it to Dixons.
Yeah I bought one of those from a guy at the GM Faire. Haven't used it yet, but I guess if I ever need to, I'll have one! Still, I've removed plugs without it in the past.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i switch mine back and forth between flint and percussion mine is a tc hawken and i use a brass shim to match it back up.been doing it that way for 20 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts