The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father gave me a traditions muzzleloader that he never used. I would love to try it but know nothing about muzzleloading what or were in se pa can i go to learn!

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
For advice people will need to know the type of muzzleloader.Inline,caplock or flintlock.The model would help as well.

·
Banned
900 Posts
You've come to the right place. The following info will help in getting the right answers (or several variations of the right answers that you will have to sift out and make one or more of them your own)

Model of Traditions gun? This helps with barrel twist and other oddities that may be particular to that model.
Type ignition (flint, perc, inline)

any idea what you want to burn in it? black powder or subs

any idea what projectiles? balls, powerbelts, conicals

Your budget. This helps as to what guys recommend. Some of us are pretty cheap too.

Where you gonna hide the receipts? LOL!! Just kidding!

This is the best tome to ask questions here. The number of guys on here has at least doubled since about 2 weeks ago. The flinter season gets em all wound up! On the Traditional forum there is a Tips thread. Lots of goo d stuff there too.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Come over to the traditional section as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you are unsure as to what you have, post an image of the muzzleloader. We will be able to tell you what type you have.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Where in SE PA are you located? Dixon's is a great place to go for supplies and to speak with knowledgeable people. Do you have supplies or just the muzzleloader?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take a look back thorough all of the old posts and you'll find all you need to know and more. I just purchased a T/C Firestorm two weeks ago and found the research very helpful. After your research, ask any questions you might not have found. By looking at the topics, you can really narrow down the information to your weapon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
some basic items that you will need are...powder, prelubed patches, regular patches, balls, ball starter, ball puller, measurer, flash pan powder dispenser

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
OK, for about the 5th time this fall and winter. the National Muzzleloader Rifle Association has a downloadable posteer on how to load and fire a muzzleloader

poke here: http://www.nmlra.org/images/photos/HowtoPoster.pdf

You need patches, balls (about .010 less in diameter thhan the caliber.) Commercial patches are carefully manufaturered to certain thicknesses. .015 thick should do ya.

You will need a powder measure. In a pinch, an empty cartridge case such as a 45-70 works well. A 45-70 casse will hold around 75 grains of powder. A 30-30 will hold around 40 grains.

You will need a safe container for the powder. Horn, flash etc.

a ram rod. Some factory ramrods are meant to be used only in a pinch and are poor quality. A stoudt ram rod is some times called a range rod, because it is used most frequestly at the rannge.

A short ball starter. Cheap to buy, easy to make.

An extra flint or two, a ball puller, cleaning jag,, short screw driver, pliers, pan primer flask make things easier. Then you will need a tackle box or Rifleman's bag to carry it all.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Firefighter25 said:
some basic items that you will need are...powder, prelubed patches, regular patches, balls, ball starter, ball puller, measurer, flash pan powder dispenser
Forget the prelubed patches and other patches and round balls...

The Traditions Deerhunter flintlocks have the 1:48 twist... they like powerbelts and maxihunters BETTER then Patched round balls..

Don't even waste your money or time with the patched round balls!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts