The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a new t/c triumph with a cabelas scope yesterday.
I Shot it today but could not get it sighted in, gun seemed to have a mind of its own. Cabelas said my load of 110 grains of pyrodex with 295 grain powerbelts was too light, need more powder or less bullet. Does this sound like a solution or a bad scope?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Did you start at 25 yards? checked all screws?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I started at 25 yards with marginal results. The screws were very tight. I've never had an in-line before, but heard thier accuracy is good.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Bull on the too light. If anything I would say you are pushing that particular bullet too hard. Start with 80 grains of Pyrodex and the 295. Are you shooting aero tips or hollowpoints? What's the load doing? Are you grouping at all? We need a bit more data.

GBJ

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's probably 1/28 twist at least; Maybe 1/24 twist; don't know offhand about TC Triumph. A 295 grain powerbelt probably won't group very well from that twist unless charge level is very low. They don't group well in my 1/28 twist even down to 80 grains which is where I gave up on them. Try at least a 348 grain Powerbelt or a saboted bullet at least 240 grains. Take the scope off until you get something that groups and then put it back on.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Try a sabot type like the hornaday 300 sst

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no group at all even at 25 yards. What is the difference between a sabot and powerbelts?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
In the end that bullet may just not work in that gun. But first a few checks before giving up on it. Did you notice if the holes in the target were perfectly round indicating stability or lack of? I use the PB 295 AT and HP in my flinter (1:32) with 90gr of 3F 777 and get very good accuracy. That dosn't mean you will in your gun but from a charge perspective I think we are probably very close. I think pyrodex is very close volume wise to real black 2F so my 90 of 3F 777 is probably pretty close to your 110 of pyro, add 10% for the 777 and then some more for the 3F granulation, must be real close to a 110 pyro charge.

How easy or hard is it to load? Hard? if you're using the 295 Aerotip what ramrod tip are you using, any chance you're deforming the tip? Easy? any chance the bullet is moving off the charge because it is too loose? Should be a firm push, not hard or easy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I shot a lot of different loads in my .50 Triumph, with pellet powder, loose powder, sabot bullets, and powerbelts but the best combination for my gun has been 100grs.(2 pellets) of Triple Seven Powder and 250 gr. T/C Shockwave Bonded Bullets (blue nose) with SuperGlide (yellow) sabots. Very accurate especially if I swab the barrel between shots. Makes loading easier, too. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
I use 90gr APP with a 245gr aerotip powerbelt and get great accuracy in my Triumph. Kills 'em graveyard dead

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Check your scope and make sure everything is tight. We shoot the Omegas and Encores and that load shoots one hole groups at 100 yards out of every gun. We also only clean the gun about every 5 shots. The first shot is always a flyer so if you are swabbing between every shot that may also be your problem.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
tc normally wont do that good with conicals. most get by due to the plastic gas check on the powerbelt.

start at 80gr pyrodex rs, winchester 777 primer or winchester w209 primer. I honestly wouldnt go over 90gr RS, that bullet easily comes apart.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
If your shooting pyrodex pellets try 2 50 gr. pellets with that 295 powerbelt!
If that dosen't work then drop you powder charge like FG suggested using loose powder!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
great white hunter said:
If your shooting pyrodex pellets try 2 50 gr. pellets with that 295 powerbelt!
If that dosen't work then drop you powder charge like FG suggested using loose powder!
Ditto----something doesnt sound right---100 gr is plenty to push that projectile. Its the exact como I use. You can bump it to 150 gr of pyrodex for shots past 100 yards with the 295 Powerbelts. I found 100 gr of triple seven works a little better but not SIGNIFICANTLY.

·
Registered
599 Posts
mickeyd said:
the best combination for my gun has been 100grs.(2 pellets) of Triple Seven Powder and 250 gr. T/C Shockwave Bonded Bullets (blue nose) with SuperGlide (yellow) sabots. Very accurate especially if I swab the barrel between shots. Makes loading easier, too. Good luck with yours.
I use the exact load and am pleased with the results out of my triumph.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have noticed between my two inlines (a T/C Triumph and Knight Wolverine) that the Knight bullets 295 gr. load way much easier than the 250 gr. shockwaves load in the Triumph. Both are tack shooters though.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Uncle shoots the TC shockwaves 250 gr., federal Fusion primers and 100gr 777 pellets. 1" groups at about 75 yds.. The gun seemd to be very picky about primers. We tried 4 different primers and the Fusions produced the consistent group with no flyers. Lots of advice on here!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will try 250 t/c shockwaves Sunday with 100 grains pyrodex. If not better, I may be looking at a bad scope.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts