The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The bottom pic looks like it might be witchhazel.

I have a few ideas of what your top pic is, but still doubting myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Witch Hazel... I never would have thought of that. Thank you. I do believe that is it! As for the berries, I just cannot figure it out. I keep thinking I know what it is and then doubt myself as well. Here is another shot of them:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yeah, I felt pretty good about the witchhazel. The autumn olive I don't see much down here. I typically see it when I'm up at camp and that's mostly in winter. I'm still sticking with autumn olive. Is it more of a bush?

<span style="font-style: italic">Hamamelis virginiana</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Elaeagnus umbellata</span>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say the trees/bushes were about 12x12... These were very smooth berries though and from what I'm seeing online, Autumn Olive berries have a little bit of a scaly texture to them? Maybe only when mature though?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like it could be one of the bush honeysuckles.

Autumn Olive does not have as bright a red berry and also has white speckling on the leaves and berries.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you RS. I was considering that possibility as well. The berries were definitely bright and smooth. Autumn olive berries look different to me.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
It's honey suckle, no doubt. It's considered invasive. The other is witch hazel, as you've already discovered.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You are welcome. The invasive ones have a hollow stem (pith), the native ones have a solid pith.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
Honeysuckle for the first. We have it everywhere down here. The first to green up in the spring and last to lose their leaves in the fall. A super hardy bush. Can take over in very quickly.

Every March I do a cleaning of one of my hunting areas to keep the stuff under control.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah Autumn olive berries won't redden up and be ripe till the fall and have a speckled scale to the berry and the leaf itself. I pick a bunch every fall after the first good frost and make fruit leather or just eat em as is they are very good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts