The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It looks like white ash bark, the sprouts between the trees looks like opposite leafing which white ash has. However I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to identify elms. Having trouble telling ash from elm (bark wise). Finally getting warm up here and the apple trees are starting to blossom. I know how to tell live elm from ash but dead or busted up (no leaves and little branches) is hard for me just by the bark.

If you look up elm bark online you just find pictures of everything from cherry, to alm/ash, oak... anything. By the way this picture marks a milestone for me. I've joined the rest in 2014 and this is my first photo uploaded from my new smart phone without my wifes help. Who would have thought this day would have come to be.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dave3,

How do you identify the dead trees in the back as elm?
Just looking for pointers here.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I am saying elm for the following: the wood has small nubs like growths and the bark is falling off in "sheets".

·
Registered
481 Posts
broknaero,
Elms have a shape like an upside down vase, the trunk goes up straight, and then branches out at the same place. Hard to describe, but if you look at them, you'll notice it. Like deer archer said, the bark falls off in sheets, I believe it's Dutch elm disease that kills them when they get 35 years old or so. Seems they're all about the same size when they die off. They stay standing for a long time after the bark falls off too.

Where dead elms are still standing, and you get morning sun is usually a hot spot for morel mushrooms also.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roots are visable above the ground and up the trunk, the missing bark is laying on the ground in big sheets 2' to 4' sections.

Thanks for the help guys. it's been really helpful. For the record I'm fine with leaves. Just this time of year or winter telling by bark is hard for me with some trees.

I will hopefully be out back this weekend poking around the apple trees to see if any mushrooms are up. I'll try to get another shot of these trees at the base, the top, and maybe the bark chunks broke off.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ACEarcher said:
What kind of habitat is this tree in? On the edge or in the woods, dense canopy or light, etc? What area of PA?
Northeast Pa. 200 yards from the lackawanna River. 50 to 75ft above the river. Thick area behind my house, heavy ground cover in most areas so I imagine it would be considered thin canopy. 10 acre wood lot. Heavy brush, rose bushes, black berry. 4 wheeler trail and train tracks running on the backside of wood lot by river.

Lots of white birch, poplar, and a few oaks and sycamore. a couple real old apple trees. This tree is on the edge. Maybe 10feet in from the yard behind some multiflora rose bushes. More trees with this bark throughout the wood lot. This is a flat area that goes back 100 yards or so then starts dropping sharp to the river.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Please post if you find morels under Apple trees. I have looked under many, many apple trees without success. Also, I'm near clarks summit. This thread has been helpful with tree id. No morels yet but hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
waynectyhunter said:
Please post if you find morels under Apple trees. I have looked under many, many apple trees without success. Also, I'm near clarks summit. This thread has been helpful with tree id. No morels yet but hopefully tomorrow.
I grew up in Wayne Co. And used to find them in an old (very old) apple orchard on the property. I don't know if there was elms there or not. So now where I live there are not many old apple trees, so I'm trying to expand my knowledge of other trees to look for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts