The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot at a deer yesterday, broadside, 20 yeards. Thought the bolt impacted in a good spot, but apparently not. Complete pass through, hair on the broadhead and a little bit of blood on the bold, but not much. Didn't find much blood. The blood we found was sporadic. Ended up tracking 200 yards at least. Drops of blood slightly smaller than a dime, pefectly round. Is this deer still alive?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Fixed or Mechanical Broadhead?
How did the deer react when hit and after the hit?
Did it lay down at any point within the 200 yards?
How lond did you wait after you hit it?
Did the bolt smell or have an odor?
Color of blood?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed broadhead. I think she jumped straight up in the air. I found no areas where she bedded down. We waited a good 4 hours, she wasn't bumped. No odor. Red blood, possibly a bit dark, but then again it was dry since we waited so long. I know it was not a gut shot. Found an area where I think she stood still with several drops around each other.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds to me you may have caught her low. Probably still alive. If by chance there is any water around, search that area before completely giving up.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
hit one like that once. saw the bolt go into the deer high and about middle laterally. Some say there's a spot there that you can hit and not hit anything vital. Some don't, but I believe there is. Followed that same type blood trail you did for about three hundred yds and finally lost it. Mine, like yours, never laid down, same stuff on the bolt, and same type blood drops. My broadhead though, was a mechanical. I would follow the above advice though, and look near any close by water.

·
Super Moderator
12,491 Posts
Dark red blood sounds like a liver hit. Best to wait 4-6 hours an usually you will find where they have bedded within 100 yards depending on cover but have seen them go 250+_. If pushed they can go a long way with little blood.

A solid liver hit will kill the deer in time, If you clipped the liver the deer will probably make it. Often liver hit deer go to water, but it doesn't have to be a big body of water, just some where they normally drink.

I would keep looking.

·
Registered
984 Posts
can you describe the hair? brown? White? 1" 3"? It sounds like you hit low and nicked the deer. Drops like that indicate a wound in the muscle somewhere. It's possible you hit low and that's why she jumped. You could have just nicked her in the brisket and she's just bleeding a little. If that's the case the wound is superficial and nothing serious.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
gentleben said:
hit one like that once. saw the bolt go into the deer high and about middle laterally. Some say there's a spot there that you can hit and not hit anything vital. Some don't, but I believe there is. Followed that same type blood trail you did for about three hundred yds and finally lost it. Mine, like yours, never laid down, same stuff on the bolt, and same type blood drops. My broadhead though, was a mechanical. I would follow the above advice though, and look near any close by water.
There is no spot between the spine and lungs that you can hit.It's biologically impossible.You can hit below the spine and behind the lungs but that's essentially a gut shot anyway.Most of the time,these shots are actually above the spine which is most likely the case here.The spine dips pretty low above the shoulder of a deer and there's plenty of room above it to make a non-fatal hit.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sounds like you shaved her either high or low (depending on whether hair was white or brown. I Think your broadhead blade cut her on the way past but the arrow didn't penetrate her. If it was a passthrough shot you would have a coating of blood on the whole arrow. I think the cut was non fatal and she is still out there.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I suspect either low or high and non-vital. The fact that the deer jumped I tend to think low brisket. Drops of blood and did not bed after 4 hours I think she may be fine. I would follow up though to be sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts