The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone looking for suggestings for places to go to in Maine to hunt hares. Would like to do it on my own or semi guided public land and places to stay or camp. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I always stay at Shin Pond Village, near Patten. Good hare population and the cabins are great.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Just as a warning...you should put "Maine" somewhere in that thread heading this time of year...I came in here ready to type LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rabbit Runner and John PA. Will look into. When do you think the best time of year to go is.'

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Even though i've never been there, I'm sure they will say the same. Sometime in October you will most likely have the best conditions for the dogs to run in.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A lot of if depends on whether you want to shoot white or brown hare, and if you want to run on snow or not.

It's hard to beat October, it's usually cool and damp and the dogs can pound. Also the hare numbers are at the highest they will be for the hunting season. November is good but it's deer season in Maine, you'll have to watch where you turn the dogs loose.
I've gone in December before and the first day we hunted it was 24 below zero, it's hard for me to get guys to go back up there that time of year now.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Nothing like the Patten area in March...they have a lot of snow this year and the swamps are frozen solid.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Best time, yikes tough one.

I generally make 3-5 trips a year to the north woods.
Usually go in mid October, Thanksgiving week, Jan. or Feb depending on conditions (I have a Buddy up there that calls) and then we close the season out mid to late March in NH.

Like John said the early hunt is fun, great running, makes you think your dogs are immortal LOL. but the hare are still brown and the woods can be thick if the Frost hasn't done it's job.

I would say mid November would be a winner. The critters are mostly white, running is still great. Only thing is the deer hunters but they haven't bothered us much.
we did have 1 stop at the cabin one night and ask us not to run a particular spot. So we didn't but mostly we see road hunters up there.

Love the spring too, The hare are concentrated and it can get fast and furious. But you do get the occasional March hare that takes off for a mile or two.

Best I can say is get up there when you can, It is a beaglers heaven.

John L

·
Banned
300 Posts
I've been going the end of March for many years. It's the classic hare hunt...lots of snow...hunting on snowshoes and lots of hares. We kill as many or more hares then as the guys who go early so don't worry about that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man you guys are great thanks again for all the info. Heck now I really don't know what to do LOL either go fall or spring. All I know is Iam really looking foward to going. And again thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts