The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loading ammo for several years for my bolt action rifles, but have never loaded for a pistol (Ruger P95 9mm) until yesterday. It belongs to a friend who has shot many factory rounds through it without so much as a problem. Since he shoots several times a week, he wanted to start reloading for it and save some money while continuing to get a lot of range time in. He got a real good deal on round-nosed lead cast bullets 115 gr., so we decided to load a few. We were very meticulous about brass prep, bullet seating, C.O.L. and charge weights. We did choose a charge on the lower side of the range because we were loading for paper targets. I used 4.0 grains of Tite-Group powder (data from Hodgdon's Tables). He immediatley began to have jamming problems after the first 5 shots cycled successfully. Some were stovepipes and some the bullets did not feed into the chamber. He is a strong handed shooter and shoots several different auto loaders successfully, so I don't think grip was a problem. One symptom that was noticeable was that the ejected casings didn't travel far. Those cartridges that fired produced very accurate grouping results. So do you think that the lower charge could be suspect or possibly something inherent to lead cast bullets in autoloaders. Or do you have some other ideas??? Of course we are going to do the obvious when we get together again and up the charge a little, within safe ranges, and see if that makes a difference. I just wanted to get some ideas before I start barking up the wrong tree.....Thanks!

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Make sure you have a good consistent crimp. It will affect pressure.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here. I know from experience that some guns just don't like certain loads.

My 9mm HATES the white box winchesters. Everything else shoots fine. Is it the bullet. powder, primer? IDK. I'm thinking it's the bullet, but I don't have any data to back it up.

I guess that's is why I normally carry a revolver.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My 9mm HATES the white box winchesters.
Brownign hi-power Mine is the same for every one it cycles
3 jam.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have shot thousands of lead Bullets in my P-94 and P-85 in the 120 grain range. I would say you need too easy the load up.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we brought the charge up to 4.4 gr. of Tite-group using the same bullet and the gun cycled flawlessly. I think the lighter charge was just not throwing the slide back hard enough to fully eject the cases. Thanks for all of the input!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you wanted to shoot lighter loads you could get a weaker spring. As long as it is strong enough to get the gun back in battery it will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts